MEN’S LACROSSE | Hoyas Lose Big East Opener, Fall to 6-2

GUHOYAS
Senior midfielder and team captain Craig Berge scored one goal and tallied one assist in Georgetown’s 9-8 overtime loss against Marquette.

After opening the season with six consecutive wins, the No. 16 Georgetown men’s lacrosse team dropped its second straight contest at Marquette University with an overtime score of 9-8 in its Big East opener.

The rivalry between the Hoyas and Golden Eagles is quickly developing, as the two have gone 3-3 in their last six contests. Five of these have been decided by one goal, and two have gone to overtime.

Junior attack Daniel Bucaro spearheaded the Hoya offense with a game-high five goals. Senior midfielder and team captain Craig Berge, junior midfielder Lucas Wittenberg and senior attack Matt Behrens also each scored one goal. Berge and freshman defenseman Joe LiCalzi each tallied an assist.

Besides Bucaro’s performance, perhaps the biggest story was the virtual absence of sophomore attack Jake Carraway. Carraway came into the game tied with Bucaro for the team lead in points but was stifled by the Marquette defense. For the first time all season, he was held without a point.

On the defensive side of the ball, senior goalie Nick Marrocco made six saves to keep the Blue and Gray in the game down the stretch.

Though their effort fell short, the Hoyas proved resilient after giving up the first four goals of the game. Bucaro eventually found the back of the net though, and Georgetown found itself down 4-1 after the first quarter. Georgetown again had a slow start in the second quarter, before ripping off four unanswered goals that knotted the game 6-6 heading into halftime.

In the second half, defenses for both teams tightened. Bucaro gave Georgetown its first lead of the game early in the fourth, but Marquette answered quickly to tie the contest at eight. The Hoyas headed to overtime where they lost the opening faceoff, which proved to be crucial as Marquette called timeout, drew up a play and scored the golden goal just 35 seconds in to win.

The loss will drop Georgetown in the national polls, but it also drops its record to 2-2 on the road, with its only other loss of the season coming last week against Drexel. However, the Hoyas will return to the Hilltop on Saturday to face No. 5 Denver in another Big East matchup, a pivotal game in the Hoyas’ season as they look to snap the losing streak against one of the nation’s top programs.