Although Monday marked the Hoyas’ final Big East contest at Capital One Arena for the season, the game had all the elements of previous games — a solid start, a halftime lead, a second-half run by the visitors and a one-possession finish.

Like most of their previous games, the result did not favor the Hoyas. After 45 minutes, the Marquette Golden Eagles knocked off the Hoyas by a score of 90-86.

The Golden Eagles (17-12, 8-9 Big East) depended on their typical barrage of three-pointers to bury the Hoyas (15-13, 5-12 Big East). Marquette made 18-of-31 attempts from behind the arc and sank 14-of-32 shots inside it.

Head Coach Patrick Ewing (CAS ’85) was displeased with his team’s effort on the defensive end.

“We let them hit 18 threes,” Ewing said. “That’s their strength. We didn’t do a good offensive job of guarding them [at] the three-point line.”

Ewing was also disappointed in his team’s rebounding efforts.

“It was just a fight. Our defensive effort was just not what we needed to have,” Ewing said. “It just wasn’t there. We should have dominated them on the boards, and we did not.”

Freshman guard Jahvon Blair scored 16 points in Monday’s loss to Marquette. Blair is averaging 9.4 points per game this season.

The Golden Eagles rode their dynamic backcourt with senior guard Andrew Rowsey and sophomore guard Markus Howard. Yet it was sophomore sharpshooting forward Sam Hauser who changed the game: He finished with 28 points on only 14 field goal attempts and went 7-of-8 from deep.

Despite Hauser’s hot start, the Hoyas came roaring back before halftime. Down 10 halfway through the first half, Georgetown locked down defensively, yielding only one field goal in the next 10 minutes, fueling its offensive groove. The Hoyas managed to string together a 26-4 run by getting the ball in the lane and executing at the free-throw line.

Now up 12 with two minutes remaining in the half, the Hoyas were poised to carry that momentum into the locker room. Then Rowsey got loose for three quick triples, with one beating the buzzer.

Ewing emphasized the importance of maintaining leads, a continual problem for Georgetown this season.

“When we go up double figures, we need to continue to add on, not regress,” Ewing said. “We continue to regress.”

Marquette’s second-half game plan was identical to their first-half plan: Shoot threes. In the last 10 minutes of regulation, the Golden Eagles attempted four two-pointers. Howard was able to find his rhythm and Hauser stayed hot, as the two went 6-for-8 from deep in the second half.

Georgetown was also carried down the stretch by its own duo. The complementary games of junior center Jessie Govan down low and freshman guard Jahvon Blair from outside kept the Hoyas within striking distance.

Govan was able to get the upper hand on Marquette’s big men. He went 6-of-10 in the second half and finished with 25 points and nine boards.

Blair knocked down three much-needed triples down the stretch to provide Georgetown with some threat from outside. Blair collected 16 points on only five shots and provided the Hoyas’ only three made field goals in a 10-minute span in the second half.

Much of Georgetown’s 10-minute scoring drought came from junior forward Marcus Derrickson’s foul trouble. Picking up two fouls in a 12-second span, Derrickson headed to the bench with 13 minutes remaining and did not return for another six. Absent from the offense, Derrickson could not find the basket for the remainder of the half.

Down two with 1:17 remaining, Blair sank two free throws to tie the game. On Marquette’s final possessions — as at the end of many games for Georgetown — the Golden Eagles benefitted from poor boxing out from the Hoyas.

Tied with under 10 seconds remaining, Hauser drove left baseline but was denied to the basket by sophomore guard Jagan Mosely. Feeling the pressure, Hauser stepped back and drilled a contested two.

Down a bucket with 3.5 seconds remaining, Georgetown senior guard Jonathan Mulmore read a tentative Marquette defense and picked up the inbounds pass near half court. Mulmore took a few dribbles, blew by Rousey and finished past an outstretched Marquette defender at the rim to tie the game as the buzzer blew.

With the buzzer-beater, Georgetown entered its sixth overtime period at Capital One Arena this season.

Despite conceding consecutive Marquette threes, Georgetown hung on. Mulmore buried a pair of free throws with under a minute to tie the game.

On the other end, Rowsey was able to create some space off the dribble and drained a step back jumper with 34 seconds remaining.

Down two, the Hoyas entrusted Derrickson, who has been the go-to guy in crunch time, to even the game. Derrickson set up on the left block, worked his way to the middle and forced a contested fadeaway that nicked the front rim.

Marquette corralled the rebound, sunk ensuing free throws and kept its at-large NCAA tournament berth chances alive by the slimmest of margins.

In its regular-season finale, Georgetown heads to Philadelphia on Saturday, looking to avenge its previous 32-point blowout defeat against the No. 4 Villanova Wildcats (25-4, 12-4 Big East).

Tipoff is scheduled for 5 p.m. at Wells Fargo Arena. The game will be televised on FOX.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *