Med Center Reduces Deficit Projection

The Medical Center lowered its projected deficit for this fiscal year, beating projections last month by $5 million as it attempts to become fiscally solvent by 2007.

During an April 7 meeting with faculty and staff, Stuart Bondurant, executive vice president for health sciences, announced that the Center’s deficit for fiscal year 2005 would be lower than expected.

Bondurant said that the projected deficit for the Medical Center would be approximately $15 million, about $5 million less than anticipated. He attributed the lowered debt projection to increased revenue and a reduction in spending.

“We’re showing that we have the capacity to control expenditures,” Bondurant said in a press release.

Bondurant also expressed optimism during the meeting that through sound fiscal management, the Medical Center would be able to “come out of the [financial] crunch in a way that we are able to spin off enough seed money to invest in the future.”

The financial upturn comes amid news that the School of Medicine remained among the top 50 medical schools nationwide in this year’s U.S. News and World Report rankings.

The school, which has continued to struggle with financial difficulties over the past several years, also saw its best success rate ever in matching students with hospital residency programs.

The good news came on March 17, when the School of Medicine, along with medical schools nationwide, held its annual Match Day.

On Match Day, graduating students are assigned to hospital residency programs across the country by the National Residency atching Program. A student and hospital are matched together based on students’ and hospitals’ preferences and needs.

Match Day 2005 proved to be the most successful in the history of the Medical Center. Sixty-one students (39 percent of the graduating class) were accepted to be residents in some of the nation’s top 25 research schools, as ranked by U.S. News and World Report. And 103 students (65 percent of the graduating class) were placed into the top 50 programs.

In past years, about 22-25 percent of the Medical Center’s students have entered the top 25 programs.

The Medical Center also ranked 46th in U.S. News and World Report’s survey, falling three spots from last year’s ranking of 43rd. Medical Center officials said they were pleased with the ranking, but also emphasized that it was not the only measure of the school.

Ray Mitchell, dean of the School of Medicine, said in a press release that the ranking was “just one measure of our overall quality and success.”

He cited the medical school’s standards for self-evaluation and the recent ranking as proof that the school is on the right track.

“By any of these criteria, we are doing very well,” itchell said.