Mailboxes Etc. To Take Over Hoya Station

GU to Save over $100,000

By Molly Longstreth Hoya Staff Writer

Mailboxes Etc., a privately owned mailing company, will take over Georgetown’s Hoya Station and save the university over $100,000 a year, according to Associate Vice President of Auxiliary Services Marjory Bryant.

Bryant said Hoya Station is considered an overhead account by the university and is funded by contributions from all departments on campus. The stipend the university receives from the U.S. Postal Service, which runs Hoya Station, does not cover the costs of running the service, Bryant said, and by selling it to a private company, the university will save that money.

In addition to financial benefits, Bryant said Mailboxes Etc. will offer more services to students, such as additional mailbox space, fax and copying services and passport photos.

This branch of Mailboxes Etc. will be similar to other branches, though it will not carry all of the same services “because we’re dealing with limited space,” Bryant said, “though we’ll have as many as possible.”

“It should be a major improvement to student life,” said GUSA representative Eric Rivers (COL ’02).

“We said to ourselves, can we increase services and also look at our overhead?” Bryant said.

Bryant said she is unsure whether the employees of Hoya Station will work at Mailboxes Etc.

“We worked extremely hard to make sure they have other opportunities within Mailboxes Etc., and we are seeing what opportunities we have for them [elsewhere] on campus,” she said.

Mailboxes Etc., “the world’s largest franchiser of retail business, communication and postal service centers,” according to its web site, has 4,000 locations in 60 countries, including 11 branches in Northwest Washington. Its regular services include mailing letters, packing and mailing packages, photocopying and faxing services, passport photos and Federal Express and UPS stations.

Bryant said it will not cost students extra to mail letters if they are already stamped, though “if you need an envelope weighed, [Mailboxes Etc.] would put a margin on that.”

Books and rolls of stamps would be available without a surcharge, she said, adding that charges for buying boxes should not be more than at the post office.

“I don’t think that they would be much different because a box is a box, but where you would pay more is when they would help you pack it,” she said.

Rivers, who presented the idea to GUSA on Monday in order to gauge student opinion, said Mailboxes Etc. will add a surcharge for non-USPS services though it should not exceed $2.

Though the university is still engaged in negotiations with ailboxes Etc., Bryant said she would like to see the company begin service at the beginning of next semester.

Mailboxes Etc. will be open 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday throughout the school year. During the summer it will close on Sundays.