Live: Election Day 2016

Updates to be posted here throughout the day. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat for more (all @thehoya).

(Yasmine Salam/The Hoya)
(Yasmine Salam/The Hoya)

2:50 a.m. 

2:40 a.m. 

2:00 a.m. 

1:45 a.m. At the White House Protesters from United We Dream: “Stop targeting the undocumented community. Stop targeting my black brothers and sisters. Stop targeting my Muslim brothers and sisters. Stop targeting the LGBT community.

1:40 a.m.I guess I’m disappointed that America’s gotten to this point, they’ve elected, well, they’re about to elect a leader who is a misogynist and everything he stands for is kind of against all my personal beliefs.” Jenna Ball (GW)

1:10 a.m. From the White House.

1:10 a.m. 

1:05 a.m.

12:50 a.m. 

Measures included a proposed state constitution and borders. It must still be approved by Congress.

12:35 a.m. 

12:30 a.m. 

12: 25 a.m.

12:17 a.m.

12:10 a.m. 

Alexander Marco Garcia (SFS ’19), Trump supporter: “I think it is going very well I am very pleased I am excited, but I know that I shouldn’t put all my….. I shouldn’t be, you know, so excited because it could go the other way. “My support for Trump boils down for one sentence. I will not surrender this country or its people to the false song of globalism any longer, Trump said that. And I am staunchly anti-multi cultural and I am staunchly against anti- globalism and I feel like trump of the two candidates is obviously for me.”

11:55 p.m.  Meredith Forsyth (SFS ’19), the Hillary Clinton supporter we’ve been following today, expresses lingering optimism while watching the returns in HFSC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P1ceAXKBL4&feature=youtu.be   11:50 p.m. 

11:40 p.m. 

“Whatever the result of this election is, it’s not a result of low female or minority turnout, this is a literal referendum for white nationalism from people who should know better.” Abby Frias (COL’ 20) in HFSC.

11:35 p.m. 

11:20 p.m.

11:10 p.m. 

11:00 p.m. CNN calls California and Hawaii for Clinton, Idaho for Trump. Current electoral vote projections from CNN: Trump – 171; Clinton – 190

10:45 p.m. Earlier Peter Hamilton (COL ’20), the Trump supporter we have followed today, expressed anxiety and excitement as he watched the election returns at the HFSC watch party. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BYxRqMlKRU&feature=youtu.be 10:40 p.m. CNN calls Virginia for Clinton. Current electoral vote projections from CNN: Trump – 167; Clinton – 122

10:30 p.m. CNN calls Ohio for Trump. Current electoral vote projections from CNN: Trump – 167; Clinton – 109

9:25 p.m. 

8:40 p.m.

8:00 p.m.

7:30 p.m. CNN project that Trump has won West Virginia. Film of student response at the GU Politics watch party in HFSC:

7:15 p.m. A map for GU Running Club’s route for the run to the White House tonight. (Illustration: Jesus Rodriguez/The Hoya) runningmap   7:10 p.m. First responses to projection of state results from students at the GU Politics watch party in HFSC. “I am aghast that Trump could’ve won the primary still. I haven’t gone through the five stages of grief yet to come to terms with that. So the fact that he could win a state against Hillary Clinton is amazing.” Sinead Carolan (SFS ’17) “I’m a Trump supporter and also from Kentucky, and that was the first state he won so I’m pretty excited right now. I’m not actually expecting him to win though, but I’m still really excited, hopeful.” Chase Wagers (COL ’20) 6:30 p.m. We caught up with Peter Hamilton (COL ’20), the Trump supporter we are following today, who went to Dahlgren to pray ahead of the beginning of release of election results tonight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgwtGzlEiuU&feature=youtu.be 6:10 p.m. GU Politics fellow Scott Mulhauser spoke to The Hoya after the Political Trivia event. Mulhauser predicts that Clinton will win the election. “My sense across the conversations I’ve had today with reporters and operatives and others is that we ultimately will have, I think, Hillary Clinton with a comfortable win tonight, a close Senate that seems to be tipping to the Democrats, be it a seat or two or three, which will give them a narrow governing majority and some pickups in the House.  So we’ll see somewhere between 10 and 20 for the Democrats tonight. I think we’re optimistic and hopeful that that means some progress for those of us that care about getting things done in the next couple years. We’ve seen a lot of stagnation. We’ve seen judges delayed and denied. I think tonight we’re hopeful that tonight there will be some progress. I’m hopeful that with Donald Trump out of our political discourse, that there is progress to be made and there are things we can get done. It is never an easy fight, but there are ways to get things done in D.C. Chuck Schumer is taking over the Senate Democrats, Hillary Clinton as the likely next president, has the opportunity to get things done. There are smart Republicans who will work with her. I hope they can see the forest for the trees and get things done. Hillary will win. Having read not just polls and not just prognostications, but actually looking at the early voting numbers, I am increasingly certain that she will win.” – Scott Mulhauser 5:45 p.m. GU Politics fellows Scott Mulhauser and Michael Steel at the “What to Watch for Tonight” panel in HFSC.

“I cast my vote for Hillary Clinton for all the women like my mother who have continuously uplifted me and told me they believe in me. At this point time there is no other candidate who has the qualifications that she has and I think it’s really exciting because my family has believed I’m Hillary Clinton for a long time so it’s exciting for me to cast my ballot but also for my mom to cast her ballot and for my father who is an immigrant to cast his.” – Alex Alonso (COL ’17), who attended the panel. 4:10 p.m. 

4:00 p.m. We caught up with  Meredith Forsyth (SFS ’19), the Clinton supporter we are following today, who worked a shift walking voters to the polls with GU Votes. >

3:35 p.m. Scott Mulhauser, GU Politics Fellow and former chief of staff to the U.S. Embassy in Beijing, discusses his plans for Election Day and encourages students to vote today. >

3:05 p.m. Peter Hamilton (COL ’20), the student Trump supporter we will also be catching up with throughout the day, says he is looking forward to watching the results as they come in tonight.

>

2:50 p.m. Throughout Election Day, we will be catching up with a Georgetown student who supports Clinton and one who supports Trump. Meredith Forsyth (SFS ’19), a Hillary Clinton supporter, discusses her plans for the day. (Video: Aly Pachter/The Hoya) >

1:45 p.m. Panelist Camden Stuebe, chief of staff at The Independent Journal and member of the steering committee for Republican Women for Hillary, spoke to The Hoya following the event.

Will conservative millennials tend to vote for Hillary today?

A lot of them are really disappointed that it’s the first election for a lot of them to vote and they’re not voting for a Republican candidate when a couple of them, too, really want to do work in Republican politics and felt like because Donald Trump is the nominee and they disagree with everything on his platform and that he represents, they didn’t get the opportunity to get some of the experiences they would have liked to from a professional standpoint as well.

How do you envision the outcome tonight?

I really hope Hillary wins by a landslide and she wins early.

What do you see as the future of the Republican Party if Hillary wins?

It’s going to force the party to take a really hard look at itself and how they let somebody like Donald Trump become the president, but I think it will also reassure people who are big-time Republicans that there is something here worth saving, and that people rejected a person who although he might be the official nominee, goes against everything the party stands for.

(Ian Scoville/The Hoya)  GUCR Panel
(Ian Scoville/The Hoya)
GUCR Panel

1:25 p.m. Mark Rom, in the “How Does the Election Work?” Panel (Baker Living Room, Healy G-18)

“We already pretty much know that Clinton will get 252 electoral votes, and we’re pretty confident Trump will win at least 163 electoral votes.”

“One possibility we can see tonight is that Clinton wins almost all the states that we can see are close.”

(Aly Pachter/The Hoya) Mark Rom speaking about the distribution of votes.
(Aly Pachter/The Hoya)
Mark Rom speaking about the distribution of votes.

1:17 p.m.

1:00 p.m. Georgetown University College Democrats are hosting their “Are We Screwed” roundtable discussion in the HFSC Social Room.

12:12 p.m. The Georgetown University College Republican panel, Where Do We Go From Here?, is about to begin in HFSC Herman Room. Before the panel, GUCR Chief of Staff Michael Parmiter (MSB ’18) said,  “Do I believe that it’s rigged in the sense that votes aren’t counted? No. Do I believe that it’s rigged in the sense that the mainstream media has been coordinating with the Clinton camp? Do I believe Democrats use voting fraud? Yes.”