Leaders Need to Step Up in New Haven Clash

Facing possibly its toughest test of the season so far, the Hoyas need their top players to shine this Sunday against Yale. On the offensive side of the ball, the Hoyas will need strong play from junior quarterback Scott Darby and senior running back Philip Oladeji. Junior defensive back Wayne Heimuli and junior defensive lineman Andrew Schaetzke will look to lead the Hoya defense.

Scott Darby

As Georgetown’s field general, Darby will play a crucial role this Saturday.

“Scott runs the show for our offense and needs to do that against Yale,” Head Coach Kevin Kelly said.

So far this season, Darby has compiled 302 passing yards and thrown for three touchdowns.

He has also been a threat on the ground with 92 rushing yards and one touchdown. One of the major reasons for Darby’s and Georgetown’s success this season, however, has been Darby’s lack of interceptions. In 53 passing attempts this season, Darby has not thrown a single pick, completing 60.4 percent of his passes.

Kelly emphasized the importance of not turning over the football.

“Turnover ratio is big. It has made a big difference in both of our games,” Kelly said. “It is a big stat.”

Philip Oladeji

A major factor that will affect Georgetown’s passing game this Saturday will be its running game. Oladeji has led the Hoyas so far in that department and needs to continue to do so. His rushing will hopefully allow the Blue and Gray to have a double-edged offense.

“Everyone has roles. We need to run to help us throw. We have done well this year balancing these two,” Kelly said.

Oladeji has run for 126 yards, averaging five yards per carry, with one touchdown in the Hoyas’ first two games. Oladeji’s one touchdown on the season was the game-winning score against Lafayette last Saturday.

The Hoyas’ hope for Oladeji is for him to make more big plays this weekend. He was a reserve the last time Georgetown visited Yale in New Haven when the Blue and Gray were soundly defeated.

“The guys are all excited to play in the Yale Bowl. They are looking for revenge from the last time we were there,” Kelly added.

Andrew Schaetzke

The Hoyas hope to play team defense this week but would not mind a repeat performance from Schaetzke, last week’s top defensive player in the nation. Against Lafayette, Schaetzke recorded eight tackles, including two sacks and four tackles for a loss. The lineman’s final sack in that game was the most decisive as it forced a fumble that stopped Lafayette’s final drive of the game – a drive that had reached Georgetown’s red zone.

Schaetzke’s incredible game earned him both Patriot League and national player of the week honors.

Schaetzke’s ability to create turnovers has helped Georgetown achieve a solid turnover margin this year.

“Schaetzke is our leader on the defensive line,” Kelly said. “On defense, we have got to work well together to shut down their two quarterbacks who have done well for them.”

Wayne Heimuli

Another defensive leader that has caused decisive turnovers is Heimuli, who has notched an interception in the second half of each of Georgetown’s victories this season. Heimuli’s pick against Davidson ended a drive that might have cut into Georgetown’s lead in the fourth quarter. Last week his pick allowed Georgetown to gain possession and score the game-winning touchdown.

The defensive back ranks fourth on the team with 11.5 tackles.”