Late Collapses Set Stage for Playoff Drama

Words cannot describe the emotions I felt around 1 a.m. on the last night of the regular season as a Red Sox fan.

After talking to my mom, I sensed the devastation back home in Boston after the Sox completed the greatest regular-season collapse in Major League Baseball history. The Red Sox led the Tampa Bay Rays by nine games on Sept. 2, but a 7-20 record in September led to their demise.

The Atlanta Braves had a similar meltdown in the National League at the hands of the St. Louis Cardinals. Like the Red Sox, they blew a 3-2 lead in the late innings of the final game to a divisional foe, while the Cardinals blew out the Houston Astros to capture the National League Wild Card.

Wednesday’s action may have been the most exciting in baseball history, but there’s a lot of baseball left to be played. Here’s my take on the American League and National League Divisional Series.

New York Yankees vs. Detroit Tigers (Prediction: Yankees in 5)

There’s a lot to like about what the Tigers have done this year. Justin Verlander established himself as the best pitcher in the league, Jose Valverde was a perfect 49-for-49 on save opportunities and Miguel Cabrera continued to demonstrate why he’s such an elite offensive talent. At the same time, General Manager Dave Dombrowski addressed several weaknesses with the midyear additions of Doug Fister, Wilson Betemit and Delmon Young — acquisitions that proved instrumental to their playoff run.

At the end of the day, however, the Yankees have proven themselves to be the team to beat. Despite an injury to Alex Rodriguez and underwhelming years from AJ Burnett and Jorge Posada — among others — the Bronx Bombers were still the AL’s best. Former Tiger Curtis Granderson put together an MVP caliber season, and solid years from Mark Teixeira and Robinson Cano have made New York’s lineup arguably the most dangerous in the game.

Although the Yankees have issues with their starting rotation, a lot of pressure will be on JustinVerlander to take down a superior lineup twice. The Bombers’ offensive firepower will just be too much for the Tigers.

Texas Rangers vs. Tampa Bay Rays (Prediction: Rangers in 5)

Baseball’s a streaky sport, and as we’ve seen in the past, teams that are hot going into the postseason can often continue the magic throughout it. The Rockies in 2007 nearly won the World Series, advancing to MLB’s championship only to be swept by the Red Sox.

Although that could certainly be the case again, I believe the Rangers are a superior team and are desperate to return after tasting the World Series last year. Texas has a strong lineup from top to bottom and excellent depth in the bullpen after acquiring Koji Uehara and Mike Gonzalez from Baltimore and Mike Adams from San Diego during the season. Even though I love the Rays’ young arms compared to the Rangers’, in a five-game series that advantage means less.

Philadelphia Phillies vs. St. Louis Cardinals (Prediction: Phillies in 4)

The Phillies were the best team in baseball on paper heading into the season, and unlike the Red Sox, proved it with their play. Their rotation is historically strong with four starters that could be aces of almost any other staff. Their offense, with the addition of Hunter Pence, is also one of the best in the game.

The Cardinals did well to reach the postseason, but ace Adam Wainwright’s injury will finally hurt them against Philadelphia’s lineup.

Milwaukee Brewers vs. Arizona Diamondbacks (Prediction: Brewers in 4)

To be honest, I don’t understand how the Diamondbacks manufactured 94 wins this season. Granted, they did play in the worst division in the league, but they lack significant firepower with Justin Upton as arguably their only dynamic offensive player. On the other hand, they are solid across the board and exemplify a true team, which is refreshing to see. Former Yankees’ prospect Ian Kennedy had a breakthrough season with a 21-4 record, 2.88 ERA, and 198 strikeouts in 222 innings, and free agent acquisition J.J. Putz was exceptional out of the bullpen with 45 saves and a 2.17 ERA.

But time is of the essence in Milwaukee with slugger Prince Fielder publicly acknowledging that this is likely his last year with the Brew Crew. The Brewers’ front office undoubtedly recognized that in the offseason, surrendering talented prospects for pitchers Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum, along with Francisco “K-Rod” Rodriguez in the middle of the year for bullpen support. I would be shocked if Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks, Fielder and company couldn’t get it done in this series.

Preston Barclay is a sophomore in the McDonough School of Business. TURNING TWO IN THE 202 appears every Tuesday.