In Europe, Finding the Real Drinking Culture

Prost! I might not know how to say “hi, how are you” in German, but, after a successful weekend at Oktoberfest, I have definitely mastered “cheers.”

After a week of travel across Budapest, Vienna and Munich, I can proudly say that I a) survived, b) appreciate maps more than anything and c) experienced new cultures, especially through food and drink.

Since being abroad, my culinary experiences have expanded, partly thanks to a lower drinking age. I instantly feel more adult when I order my meal and ask the waiter for his recommendation on a good red wine to match, but this provides great experiences for cultural enrichment as well.

In Budapest, at every restaurant I passed, I saw a sign for palinkas. I don’t know a word of Hungarian, but at my final dinner in the country, I decided that I would just go for it and order one. My waiter suggested a pear flavor and showed up with two shot glasses for my friend Megan and I. We had no idea that these were shots but the next thing we knew, we were throwing them back as our waiter “cheers-ed” us. The taste was fruity but the drink had an unusual aftertaste, as if the pear infusion was fermented.

After doing a bit of research I learned that palinka dates back to the Middle Ages and is only found regionally in Europe. It’s a type of fruit-infused brandy and is consumed especially at times of celebration. I think my last night in Budapest was a suitable occasion for such celebration.

As we headed toward Vienna, the city of music, we already had plans to go to the Vienna State Opera House to see the opening of a new ballet for the fall season. Thanks to my lack of German knowledge, I accidentally bought two seats that were in completely different boxes on different floors. When intermission rolled around, Megan and I were ready to partake in all of the classiness — even if I was wearing combat boots. We made a beeline for the food and drink line and ordered two glasses of champagne to sip while we walked around the different rooms of the opera house and people watched from the outdoor terrace.

Surrounded by the chandeliers, gowns and adults who paid much more than 10 euros for their ballet tickets, I felt instantly classier holding my champagne glass. I was a part of the society that was around me, combat boots and all.

For the last part of our trip, we met up with five of our other Georgetown friends for Oktoberfest. It was a much different scene than the pub in Budapest and the Vienna State Opera House, but just like the other two, it was a cultural experience.

We awoke at the crack of dawn to line up outside of Hofbrauhaus, one of the better-known tents, at least among Americans. The doors opened promptly at 9 a.m. and what followed were the most adrenaline-filled five minutes of my life, as we simultaneously rushed to find a table and tried not to lose our exit buddy. The seven of us set up camp at a standing table and got our first round of steins.

Prost was said all around, pictures were taken and pretzels were shared. More steins and pretzels were had throughout the day and we eventually found some space with other Georgetown students. The fight song was sung and promises were made that we would all be Seniors Eating At Leos because we were really over-cooking for ourselves.

In retrospect, sipping on each of these cities’ drinks of choice opened my eyes to new cultures and traditions. Overall, they share in the “European” way of drinking: casual and not too out of hand. People drink to have a good time, but not to get obliterated, even at Oktoberfest. To quote Wale and Kid Cudi, “I’m just here to have a good time.”

Christina Wing is a junior in the McDonough School of Business studying abroad in Copenhagen. Damnsel in Denmark appears every other Friday.