Hoyas Break Out of Slump, Crush URI

In a previous interview, Head Coach Pat Conlan said that she was waiting for the day when all aspects of the Georgetown softball team – batting, pitching and defense – would come together. Tuesday was certainly not that day. In the Hoyas’ (7-15) 4-0 loss to Drexel (5-6), the Blue and Gray failed in two of those areas: hitting and defense.

Despite a strong all-around effort from sophomore right-handed pitcher Mackensey Carter, Georgetown’s defense committed seven errors, and its offense left seven runners on base, four in scoring position. Carter only allowed three earned runs over six innings, even though she took the loss, her eighth of the season. She also went 2-for-3 on the day, recording two of Georgetown’s four total hits.

Carter’s three earned runs all came in the first inning. The Dragons got five of their first six batters on base as a result of four singles. Even with three errors by her defense, Carter settled down in the next three innings, shutting down Drexel’s hitters.

The Hoyas’ errors finally caught up with them in the fifth inning. Drexel took advantage of two Georgetown errors and advanced a runner to third. With one out, the runner was then able to score on a sacrifice fly.

The Hoyas still threatened Drexel, particularly in the fourth and fifth innings. In the fourth, freshman catcher Shikara Lowe started the inning with a single. Then, a single by freshman outfielder Danielle Cyr gave Georgetown two runners on base with one out. Drexel pitcher Katrina Gaudier was able to get a strikeout and a ground out to end the threat.

Yesterday, however, Georgetown broke out in a large way. Powered by two first-inning home runs from Carter, the Hoyas easily handled Rhode Island by a score of 18-5. The top three in the order combined to go 7-for-10 with nine RBIs.

The Hoyas will open Big East play when they travel to Storrs, Conn., to face Connecticut for a three-game set, with a double-header on Saturday.