Hoya Court Launches Mediocre Alternatives

By Emily Manbeck

Hoya Staff Writer

Published: Friday, November 8, 2013

Updated: Friday, November 8, 2013 00:11

asdf

Those who know me well know that I love fast food. Greasy, healthy, sweet, you name it — if there’s a line to a cash register or drive-through window, I’ll be in it, waiting for quick, yummy goodness. However, my views on this culinary “style,” if you will, have changed drastically since dining at Hoya Court’s two new establishments over the past few days. I give them sympathy since they’ve just opened and are working on pulling it all together, but sadly, Salad Creations and Elevation Burger just don’t match up to similar restaurants around here. But the new Hoya Court has one advantage: the new paint job and increased space make our food court much more comfortable and inviting.

Salad Creations

2.5/5 stars

$

Earlier this week, I decided to grab a late lunch at Salad Creations. With only one other person ahead of me in line, I was shocked that it took almost an entire 15 minutes for someone to serve me. To add to that, my quarter of an hour waiting gave me an opportunity to appraise the salad stations, which are noticeably lacking meats, cheeses and vegetables.

When someone finally took my order, it became clear that none of the staff knew where the ingredients were or really what the recipes called for. My server paused for about two minutes before starting my salad because she didn’t know what was in a Chinese Chopstick salad. In another five minutes, she had mixed the lettuce, chicken, wontons and mandarin oranges but stopped before informing me that they did not have the recommended dressing, Asian peanut. I asked for Balsamic vinegar instead, but I believe I ended up with the vinaigrette instead, as the dressing was a lighter color and a thicker consistency.

After hungrily waiting 22 minutes for a salad and soda, I shook my salad once again for good measure and dug in. I did not immediately sense any issues with the meal, and I even liked how finely chopped all of the ingredients were. But as I continued to eat, I became more and more turned off by the salad. The ambiguous dressing was very watery and made all of the lettuce, wontons and chicken disgustingly soggy. The chicken, though cooked, was cold, and the number of add-ins far exceeded the amount of lettuce — making this salad more of a chilled teriyaki chicken dish with spring greens on the side.

Besides the poor service and menu, what also shocked me were the prices. Though the selection is large — you can choose from rice bowls, paninis and three categories of salads or wraps in addition to make-your-own — they make you pay anywhere from $6.99 to $8.99 for their unappealing dishes.

I don’t see why Georgetown selected Salad Creations over Chop’d or Sweetgreen, especially because the latter was created and is still run by our own alumni. Even though the Georgetown staple is a farther walk and charges higher prices, at least I always leave with a smile and finish my salad wishing for more.

Elevation Burger

2.5/5 stars

$

Later that same evening, I decided to dine at Elevation Burger, a joint much like Five Guys and Good Stuff Eatery that serves specialty and custom burgers as well as several sides and milkshakes. Again, I waited 15 minutes in line for a cashier to take my order.

In contrast to Good Stuff and Thunder Burger, Elevation Burger does not serve signature burgers built around flavors or culinary styles. Instead, it separates itself from the competition by offering different amounts of meat and/or veggie patties. The Elevation Burger contains two beef patties with the option of cheese, and the Vertigo Burger allows you to stack anywhere from three to ten patties.

Putting all of that behind me, I ordered a one-patty cheeseburger with ketchup, a side of fries and a soda. I waited another 15 minutes for my burger and fries, and became even more annoyed.

After returning to my seat with a to-go bag in hand, I eagerly began eating my fries. Served in a small paper dish, these fries were very thin and crunchy, leaving hardly any room for tasting the soft, warm potatoes inside. The burger was average — not bad, not great. Unlike Salad Creations, however, its prices are reasonable for the quality.

Again, I don’t understand how Georgetown is giving business to this lesser-known and less popular chain of burger joints instead of restaurants that students actually like. For the wait and the menu, I would walk longer to Good Stuff or Five Guys and pay more. Also, if Georgetown wants accessible burgers on campus, why not rent out that space to GUGS and get points for helping student-run organizations?