Hospital Will Remain Despite Rumors

MedStar Georgetown University Hospital has no plans to move downtown, though the university is exploring options for the relocation of some graduate programs.

Contrary to recent media speculation, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital does not have plans to move to Capitol Crossing, a new development being constructed near Interstate 395 in downtown D.C.

The Washington Post reported on April 29 that the hospital and medical school could be moving to the new site, which is across the street from Georgetown University Law Center.

The article noted that other university departments such as the Law School, the Georgetown Public Policy Institute and the School of Continuing Studies were also considering moving to the development, which is owned by the New York-based real estate agency Property Group Partners.

According to MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Director of Media Relations Marianne Worley, however, there have been no discussions to move the hospital.

“There has been some speculation in the media recently about the possibility of MedStar Georgetown University Hospital relocating from the Georgetown University campus to another area of the city. We want to assure you that this is not the case,” she wrote in an email.

As for rumors that the hospital might expand its current on-campus location, Worley remained vague about any potential plans.

“As we look forward, we will continue to build world-class services across MedStar’s Washington region, including hospital-based services on the Georgetown University campus on Reservoir Road, MedStar’s other hospital campuses across the region and our extensive ambulatory and physician locations on behalf of our patients,” she wrote.

University spokeswoman Stacy Kerr said that as the university sold the hospital in 2000 to MedStar Health, she could not speak for MedStar administrators regarding their future plans. However, Kerr said rumors speculating that the hospital might build on Kehoe Field are not true.

“Kehoe Field is owned and managed by the university,” she said. “There are no plans for the hospital to take over that space at this time.”

Kerr also added that any changes to the current hospital facilities would be difficult to implement.

“The hospital facilities north of Kehoe Field are subject to a long-term lease, and any proposed development of those areas would not only be subject to the provisions of the lease but [also] the campus plan,” she said.

Although the hospital will remain in Georgetown, the campus still faces problems accommodating its academics and students in its current space.

Kerr said that the university is looking at multiple locations in the D.C. metropolitan area for an expansion of its graduate programs and that the Capitol Crossing development is one of the locations being considered.

PGP Regional Vice President Robert Braunohler said that while the school has talked with developers about purchasing part of the property, where construction is expected to begin during summer 2013, nothing has been decided.

“It’s just a possibility … at this point. There’s no firm decision as far as we understand it,” he said. “It’s among the options they’re looking at. They’re looking very seriously at it, but at this point, there are no commitments, nothing definite to say either way.”