GUSA President, VP Join Calls for Reform

Referendum Issue Still Unresolved

By Clare McMahon Hoya Staff Writer

A surprising turn of events at Tuesday’s GUSA Assembly meeting has made it unclear what will happen next in the ongoing debate over a proposed constitutional convention, raising questions of procedure and authority within the student association. While the Assembly decided to vote next week on whether to hold a student body referendum on a proposed constitutional convention, the GUSA executive issued its own directive to have the constitution examined.

President John Glennon (COL ’99) described an executive order he developed with Vice President Austin Martin (COL ’99). Under their plan, a seven-member Dean’s Advisory Board would be given the responsibility of perusing the current constitution, getting student input, and then deciding what changes, either dramatic or cursory, need to be made.

Glennon’s and Martin’s executive order is not subject to Assembly approval it would normally go through. However, because the Assembly may approve an alternate proposal to hold a referendum on a constitutional convention, it is not clear how such a decision would affect Glennon and Martin’s plan.

Earlier this year, representatives Jasper Ward (COL ’01) and Rip Andrews (SFS ’01) collaborated with John Butler (COL ’01) and constitutional council member Kim Harrington (SFS ’01) to sponsor a proposal calling for a GUSA constitutional convention. Their proposal aimed to make structural changes to the student association and increase student input.

When the Assembly defeated their initial proposal in a 2-8-2 vote, Ward and Andrews brought the issue to the constitutional council, asking for a student referendum. Last week, the Council, which includes Harrington, Erin Lyall (SFS ’01), and Bradford Caldwell (MSB ’99), decided unanimously to order a student body referendum on whether to hold a constitutional convention. The vote has been scheduled for Dec. 2.

However, at Tuesday’s meeting, Election Commissioner Jackie Shapiro (COL ’99) announced repeatedly that she would not hold a referendum unless it is approved by the Assembly next week.

“This is my final decision. I will not be changing my mind,” she said.

Regarding the referendum proposal, representatives raised concerns about the constitutionality of the council’s interpretation.

“We need to ask ourselves what happens when the constitutional council does something unconstitutional,” said Glennon.

The council, however, stood by its decision and received support from various students attending the meeting.

Andrews expressed disappointment over Shapiro’s decision, saying, “If she decides not to hold the election, it will be a great offense to me, and warrant a replacement – it is an inappropriate use of power.”

At the same time, both Andrews and Ward, a Hoya staff writer, offered some praise of Glennon’s and artin’s Executive Order.

“I really like the principle behind the Dean’s Advisory Board,” said Ward, while Andrews said he agreed with “99 percent of what is being said at this meeting.”

As part of the Advisory Board plan, students would apply for a position on the board, and Glennon and Martin would then appoint six of these students. The Board would then meet with Dean Penny Rue, who helped author GUSA’s current constitution, and work to make whatever changes they deemed necessary. Finally, they would take these ideas and work with Dean of Students James Donahue to get his input and complete the process.

“We think this will be a manageable way to deal with the issue.” said Glennon, “I am willing to admit there is a very strong push to address the topic [of changes to the constitution], and it would be irresponsible to ignore it.”

Both Ward and Andrews pushed for a few changes to the Executive Order, questioning the fact that there would be only 6 students on the board, and asking to increase the current number. In response, Martin indicated that the number was not yet definite.

While the executive order seems to conflict with the referendum already approved by the constitutional council, Andrews noted that the end is more important than the means in this issue.

“The most important thing here is reforming the constitution and bringing about change,” he said, “We won’t compromise on that, but we are willing to compromise on how to bring that about.”

With that idea in mind, Andrews and Ward, along with other GUSA members, will meet with Glennon and Martin this weekend in order to work on a compromise.