GULC Creates Clinton Fellowship

The Georgetown University Law Center announced the establishment of the Hillary Clinton Fellowship on Feb. 25. The foundation will provide funding for graduates of the Law Center to work in collaboration with the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security for a year.

The fellowship, sourced from a $1 million gift from alumni Rep. John Delaney of Maryland (LAW ’88) and April McClain-Delaney (LAW ’89), entitles selected graduates to conduct rigorous research, produce reports and publications, track developments in the field and become in-house experts on critical, timely issues related to international law, human rights, women, peace and security.

The program, which is open to recent graduates of Master’s level programs, provides a one-year, full-time and fully-funded opportunity for three selected annual fellows to focus on legal research and analysis. GU Law Center, The Clinton School of Public Service at the University of Arkansas and Georgetown University will each recruit one graduate fellow for the newly established program which will begin summer 2014.

“The fellows are named in honor of Secretary Clinton, who serves as the Institute’s Honorary Founding Chair, because the Institute’s creation was in large part inspired by her leadership and commitment to women, peace and security,” Mayesha Alam, GIWPS assistant director said. “This new cadre of fellows represent the next generation of informed leaders, the best and brightest from Georgetown and beyond, and the fellowship program is a wonderful way to commemorate Secretary Clinton.”

In addition to the Hillary Clinton Fellowship, the donation will also fund the Delaney Fellowship program, a program that will offer 25 graduates one-year fellowships to work in the public interest field over the course of the next five years, as well as the Delaney Scholars summer program, a program that will teach students about what is entailed in a career in public interest by offering a course and giving students experience in the field with nonprofit or government agencies.

Dean of Georgetown University Law Center William Treanor believes that the fellowship will provide a valuable opportunity for graduates to attain important experience prior to the beginning of their professional careers.

“This will be a great opportunity for our graduates to do public service in international law and women’s rights,” Treanor said. “The research they will do and the reports they will create will then be made public. This is very exciting for us since when people are interested in international law and human rights, it is often requisite that people have experience in it from before, which makes it hard to get it as a first job.”

Delaney stressed the importance of women’s rights advocacy to him and his wife.

“April and I are just being supporters, and we believe getting a better understanding of the legal framework of women’s rights is incredibly important,” he said.

April McClain-Delaney serves as the Washington D.C. director for Common Sense Media Inc., an international research center that focuses on problems surrounding young girls in the media and aims to give support to women in the developing world.

“She’s really a professional, a full-time advocate for rights of women and young girls in really difficult situations,” Delaney said of his wife.

With Secretary Clinton in attendance, the Hillary Clinton Fellowship was officially announced Feb. 25 at a ceremony held in Gaston Hall. Scheduled to begin this summer, the fellowship anticipates starting with three fellows but will consider increasing the number in the future.