GU Offense Produces Too Little, Too Late in Weekend Loss

On Sunday, the Georgetown women’s softball team (16-26, 5-6 Big East) finally ended its scoring funk by scoring more than two runs. Unfortunately for the Hoyas, their streak of consistently solid pitching also ended in a 6-4 loss to the Longwood University Lancers (35-15) in Farmville, Virginia. The Blue and Gray were still able to contend with a very strong foe in Longwood who is twenty games over five-hundred.

Georgetown broke out of its hitting slump with seven hits, led by junior infielder Kristi Preuss and senior shortstop Samantha Peters. Preuss finished the game a perfect 2-for-2, including a solo home run. Peters continued her sizzling hitting, scoring two runs and going 1-for-3.

The Hoyas jumped on Lancer pitching early in the game, scoring in the first inning. To start off the game, Peters doubled to left field. Later in the inning, senior third baseman Demetria Cipriano brought Peters home with a single, giving Georgetown a 1-0 advantage. Longwood was not satisfied with Georgetown’s lead and mounted a furious comeback over the next three innings. The Lancers had three hits in the bottom of the first inning, resulting in three runs for the hosts. Longwood continued its scoring in the next two innings, scoring a run in each inning and stretching its lead to 5-1.

Georgetown’s hitters cooled off until the fifth inning when Preuss hit a leadoff homer that cut Longwood’s lead to three. The Lancers answered once again, however, and in the bottom half of the inning, they pushed one run across to make the score 6-2. The Hoyas did not quit, though and rallied in the sixth in an attempt to tie the game. Georgetown put runners on second and third. Preuss again came through for the Hoyas, singling to bring home both runners and cutting the lead to 6-4. Cipriano struck out to end the comeback, though, and the Hoyas were not able to get on base for the rest of the game.

Junior lefty Melissa Conners took the loss, going six innings allowing ten hits and six runs.

The Hoyas return home on Wednesday to face Big East opponent Rutgers in an important two game series at Guy Mason Field.