GU Law Professor Nominated to DC Superior Court

Todd Edelman, a criminal law professor at the Georgetown University Law Center, was nominated by President Obama for one of two open spots as an associate judge in the D.C. Superior Court on Friday March 26. Superior Court Magistrate for D.C., Judge Judith Smith, was nominated for the other position.

“I am proud to nominate these distinguished individuals to serve as Associate Judges on the Superior Court of the District of Columbia,” said Obama in a White House press release. “Throughout their careers, they have demonstrated an unwavering commitment to the pursuit of justice and dedication to the public good. I am confident they will serve the District of Columbia with distinction.”

Edelman became an adjunct professor of law teaching criminal trial litigation in Georgetown’s Master of Laws program in 2004. He is currently a visiting associate professor of law at Georgetown University Law Center. He teaches the Criminal Justice Clinic, a year-long program that allows students to practice criminal law, in addition to allotted class time.

Edelman graduated from Yale University in 1990 and received his juris doctor from New York University School of Law in 1994. After attending law school, he served as a clerk for William B. Bryant of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. He was later an E. Barrett Prettyman Fellow in the Georgetown University Law Center’s Criminal Justice Clinic.

Edelman has dealt mainly with civil and criminal litigation throughout his career. From 1997 to 2005, he worked as a trial attorney with the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia. Edelman practiced at the law firm Bredhoff and Kaiser, P.L.L.C, from 2005 to 2008. At Bredhoff and Kaiser, he represented plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal civil litigation, particularly in cases involving employment, labor law, employee benefits and civil rights.