GU Invited to Warrior Classic

ESPN Regional Television announced on Wednesday the creation of the ESPNU Warrior Classic lacrosse event, and the No. 13 Georgetown Hoyas have accepted an invitation to be one of its four inaugural participants. The doubleheader will be played on Saturday, April 24 at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn. Georgetown will take on No. 18 Massachusetts as part of the Classic, and Fairfield will challenge No. 17 Denver in the other contest.

“We’re very excited to be invited to play in the first annual ESPNU Warrior Classic,” Georgetown Head Coach Dave Urick told ESPN. “This is a tremendous opportunity for the sport of lacrosse to have increased exposure in the Northeast, and this field brings together some very talented teams. ESPNU has provided great television exposure for the sport of lacrosse and this event shows their commitment to the sport.”

Georgetown’s opponent, the Massachusetts Minutemen, are a familiar foe. Both teams are former members of the East Coast Athletic Conference, which the Minutemen championed last season. This year, however, Massachusetts joins the Colonial Athletic Association and Georgetown moves to the Big East after a 7-7 season in 2009.

“We are looking forward to playing one of our former ECAC rivals, Georgetown,” Massachusetts Head Coach Greg Cannella told ESPN. “When these two teams get together and play, it is always exciting and fast, the way college lacrosse should be played.”

The Hoyas will look to assert their position as a national contender when they take on the Minutemen in three months’ time.”