GU, Dusseau Overcome Hobart, Refs

Hoyas Ranked Sixth Nationally

By Karen Travers Hoya Staff Writer

At times it seemed like the Georgetown men’s lacrosse team was battling two opponents on Harbin Field last Saturday – the Hobart Statesmen and the referees.

Georgetown, pulled out a 14-10 win over unranked Hobart in a game highlighted by Georgetown freshman Steve Dusseau’s five goals, but marred by poor procedural calls and contact calls that were made after the fact and broke up the flow of the game.

The Hoyas, who were ranked eighth last weekend but have moved up to sixth in the STX/USILA poll, extend their win streak to three, improving to 8-2 for the season. With the loss, Hobart falls to 5-4.

Georgetown senior attackman Greg McCavera had another record-setting day. McCavera, a pre-season All-American who is currently ranked fifth in the nation in points per game (5.40) and third in the nation in assists per game (3.00), notched four assists to bring his season total to 30. The mark breaks cCavera’s own single-season assist record of 29, set last season.

McCavera now holds the single season assists, goals and points record for Georgetown, as well as the career goals and points records.

Hobart’s defense knew that McCavera would score, but Georgetown pulled out another scoring weapon against the Statesman. Because of an ankle injury suffered at the start of the season, Dusseau has not seen significant minutes. Hobart will certainly remember his name next season.

The rookie played the most minutes he has seen this season and capitalized on his time on the field, scoring a game-high five goals, including the final two goals of the day.

“I felt really good today for the first time in a while,” Dusseau said. “I’m just happy to be out here.”

Almost lost in Dusseau’s brilliance was a rash of penalties called against Georgetown. The Hoyas were charged with 11 penalties for the game, including five in a five-minute span in the fourth quarter, but a strong defense held the Statesmen to just three goals on extra-man situations.

“It takes you away from your game,” Georgetown Head Coach Dave Urick said about the penalties. “It was our sixth game in three weeks so I’m proud of our effort.” With 10:59 remaining in the fourth quarter and Georgetown ahead12-8, the Hoyas had possession of the ball. Hobart senior goalie Greg Prossner made a foot save that resulted in a scuffle for the ball at the midfield. Georgetown senior defenseman Andy Bell was called off-sides and it only got worse from there for the Hoyas.

Over the course of the next three minutes, the Hoyas were called for a 30-second push, a one-minute slash, a 30-second defensive interference, a one-minute body check and a 30-second procedure for having too many men on the field, giving the Statesmen a pair of two-man advantage opportunities.

The Georgetown defense, led by a stellar fourth-quarter performance by senior goalie Brian Hole, held off the Hobart attack unit for close to three minutes, including the two two-man advantage situations. The Hoyas finally surrendered a goal with 5:05 left in the game, an unassisted goal by senior attackman Chuck Wilbur, to cut their lead to 12-9.

Time was on the Hoyas’ side, however, and the defense hung on to stop the Statesmen in the final minutes. Dusseau locked the win for Georgetown by scoring two goals in the final four minutes.

“Our man-down defense stepped up today,” Bell said. “We had a lot of hustle out there.”

Hobart opened up the scoring in the first quarter, but Georgetown fired off five unanswered goals to take a commanding 5-1 lead with 14:16 remaining in the second quarter.

Junior attackman Andy Flick scored the first two goals of the game off of assists from McCavera and Dusseau, senior midfielder Tyler Gamble and senior attackman Scott Urick each put one to the back of the net to give the Hoyas the 5-1 lead.

Georgetown’s Tom Tamberrino was called for a holding penalty with 11:17 left in the first period. As time ran out on the penalty, Hobart’s senior midfielder Alex Mitchell took a pass from junior attackman Kevin DeWall to cut the Hoyas lead to three, 5-2. Hobart came back again, just one minute later on the connection of sophomore midfielder Jamie Breslin and junior midfielder Spencer Niebuhr. Breslin sent a weak shot past Hole on an assist from Niebuhr to bring the Statesmen within two, 5-3.

But again, the Hoyas picked it up on offense before the end of the half, despite two more penalties and several turnovers. Dusseau put in two goals, on assists from sophomore midfielder Mike Henehan and Flick, to give the Hoyas a comfortable, 7-3, lead going into halftime.

Georgetown continued where it left off in the second half, scoring a goal with just 30 seconds off of the clock in the third period. Senior attack Scott Urick took a pass from cCavera to give the Hoyas a five-goal lead, 8-3.

McCavera’s assist to Urick was his fourth of the day and the record breaker.

Georgetown continued to roll over the Hobart defense, taking a 10-6 lead into the fourth quarter. Despite the penalties and a small surge by the Hobart offense, the Hoyas were able to hang on for the win on goals by sophomore midfielder Keith Baker and Urick.

Hole finished the game with 16 saves and Hobart’s Prossner finished with nine saves. The Hoyas won only 13 of 28 face-offs and were held to just 35 shots, to Hobart’s 45. Georgetown led in groundballs, 49-43.

The Hoyas return to action Sunday when they travel to Pennsylvania to play against unranked Villanova. The Wildcats are 7-5 for the season and are coming off one of the biggest victories in their program’s history. The Wildcats beat crosstown-rival Penn, 7-5, on Wednesday for their first-ever victory over the Quakers.

Last season, Georgetown pummeled Villanova at Harbin Field, 19-2.