GU Drops Meet to Terps

The swimming and diving team has finished out the dual meet portion of their schedule. Unfortunately, both the men’s and women’s teams suffered defeats to the Maryland Terrapins. This loss, however, did not come without benefit, as the Hoyas qualified six more swimmers for the Big East championships later on this month.

For Head Coach Steve Cartwright, the goal from the beginning of the season was to “get the entire team to Pittsburgh.”

It took the entirety of the season, and although the Hoyas didn’t quite reach that goal, six more swimmers qualified against a strong ACC swimming program, which marked an impressive finish to the dual meet portion of the Hoyas’ schedule. Freshman Laura Noisten qualified for the Championships with her performance in the 100 breaststroke.

Meanwhile, three freshmen – Brad Murray, Tom Cooke and Alexander Robinson -qualified for the event. Murray won the 200 breaststroke, Cooke set a personal record in the 500 freestyle, and Robinson did the same in the 400 individual medley.

Two other Hoyas – junior Keenan Timko and sophomore Robert Gokey – qualified for the postseason with their performance on Saturday.

The meet also marked the continued dominance of the men’s and women’s 200 freestyle relay teams. For the men, Gokey, junior Tom Crecelius, senior Wes Going and freshman Ken Ryan won. For the women, senior Lindsay Vickroy, freshman Amy Ballanfant, freshman Samantha Kietlinski and senior Laura Alito took the event home.

Now, the Hoyas will prepare for the diving championships this weekend and the swimming championships two weekends from now, marking the climax of the season for Georgetown.”