GU College Republicans Silent on Marriage

Though the College Republicans at the University of Pennsylvania have declared support for same-sex marriage along with at least 50 Democratic and Republican student groups nationwide, the Georgetown University College Republicans remain silent on the issue.

“Same-sex marriage is an issue on which people of good will can and do disagree. This is true in the national political sphere, within the Georgetown community and within the Georgetown University College Republicans,” GUCR Chair Alex Cave (COL ’15) wrote in an email. “For this reason, it would be inappropriate for the Georgetown University College Republicans, as a group of diverse individuals of varying opinions, to take an organization stance on any side of this issue.”

The Supreme Court heard two cases at the end of last month that could dramatically alter state and national law on same-sex marriage, and the debate over this contentious issue has been amplified. Many commentators have identified a changing tide in public support for gay marriage.

GUCR Vice Chair Mallory Carr (COL ’15) agreed with the club’s statement of neutrality.

“Our position is to recruit members and to have a conversation about ideas — we want to inform young minds, not shape them,” Carr said. “To come out in opposition like that is controversial because it excludes some voices that won’t be heard. It cuts the debate off.”

However, according to GUCR board member Tim Rosenberger (COL ’16), GUCR has discussed gay marriage internally, especially under the leadership of former Chair Maggie Cleary (COL ’14).

“Last semester, Maggie, who whole-heartedly supported gay marriage, left a lasting imprint on the Republican brand here at Georgetown — she really turned the club around, made it relevant again and embraced gay marriage,” Rosenberger said.

Former GUCR board member Sam Dulik (SFS ’13) supported the pledge taken by students at Penn.

Dulik argued that the nature of political organizations is to express views on complex issues.

“I think one of the things that makes American politics, broadly, and the Republican Party, specifically, so great and so strong is that there’s such a diversity of opinion,” Dulik said. “I want to encourage and foster discussion and debates on this and other complex issues.”

Rosenberger personally agreed and commended the Penn College Republicans for their bravery.

“I think that politics is about the issues,” Rosenberger said. “Although you can have diversity of opinion, your group should take a stance. If you refuse to take a position, then there’s no point. I think it was very admirable for Penn and other Republican groups to do this to send a clear message.”

Overall, GUCR members attested to the diversity of opinion within the organization, but Dulik added that, from his experience, he has seen a large base of support for same-sex marriage from within the club.

“My belief, and what I’ve observed, not only in Georgetown in general but also specific to College Republicans, is overwhelming support for marriage equality from young Republicans,” Dulik said. “I think you see it in groups around the country — people in their teens, twenties, thirties. … They’re saying, ‘You know what, we’re done with it — we’re on board.’”

Rosenberger agreed, citing the national progress the party has shown in recent years.

“We’ve already gone from the party going from vehemently saying no to same-sex marriage to this spineless equivocating,” Rosenberger said. “It’s a sign that we’re moving in the right direction. I think in a few years everything will totally change.”

However, he acknowledged that Georgetown faces unique challenges because of its identity as a Catholic university.

“There’s going to be some hiccups because we’re a Catholic university, and we’re going to have a couple issues where we don’t agree on some issues,” Rosenberger said.

The same challenges have affected the Georgetown University College Democrats’ response. Club President Trevor Tezel (SFS ’15) said that while his organization’s membership holds a range of views, a vast majority of his members agree that same-sex marriage should be legal. Though Tezel signed the agreement representing the relative consensus of GUCD in favor of  same-sex marriage, he stressed that GUCD, as a recipient of Student Activities Commission funding, cannot announce an official platform on positions in order to conform with university administration policies.

“The one thing we are careful of is making sure we aren’t advocating for particular pieces of legislation, especially using club resources to do so because that constitutes a direct violation of our rules,” he said.

For his part, Dulik expressed disappointment that the argument about same-sex marriage is still going on.

“There’s too much policy bandwidth dedicated to this that should be devoted to other issues. There are people who are so animated about this. I have to tell you — for people out there who are spending every equal hour making sure people don’t get this right — get a hobby,” Dulik said. “It’s important, but it should be an afterthought — of course private citizens should be able to get married, to enter basically a contract, albeit formed with love, with each other.”

Hoya Staff Writer Natasha Khan contributed reporting.