GOLF | Women Win at Hoya Invitational, Men Come Up Short in Happy Valley

The Georgetown women’s golf team ended their regular season on a high note last weekend, finishing first out of eight teams at the Hoya Invitational in Beallsville, Md. The Georgetown men’s team did not find the same level of success as its counterpart, but they produced a solid result last weekend with a 12th place finish at the Rutherford Intercollegiate at Penn State.

At the Hoya Invitational, senior Christina Parsells topped the leaderboard with a 2-over par score of 218, while sophomore Elizabeth Nguyen shot 221 and finished fourth. Trailing close behind was senior Alexa Popowitz, who carded a 225 and earned sixth place.

Other high performers for the Hoyas included junior Ashley Fitzgibbons, whose 14-over par score of 230 tied her for 11th place. Junior Kate Evanko’s second-round performance of 74 was her best of the season, helping her tie for 32nd with a score of 238.

The Georgetown women’s aggregate score of 906 and 42-over par gave them a comfortable win over Ball State’s score of 914, Akron’s score of 915 and Richmond’s score of 917.

After finishing sixth out of 13 teams at the Princeton Invitational, the men’s squad traveled to Happy Valley for the Rutherford Intercollegiate. The Hoyas started by shooting rounds of 299 and 295 Saturday, which put them ninth out of 13 teams for a combined score of 594. In the final round Sunday, however, the team’s performance slipped, with the Hoyas shooting 301 and finishing 12th.

On Saturday, Georgetown was led by junior Hardin Councill, who shot a 1-over par score of 143 (71-72), placing 12th overall. Three other Georgetown players finished in the top 50; freshman Will O’Neill came in 31st following his rounds of 75 and 72, and juniors Patrick DiPasquale and Noah Moss rounded out the top 50 with scores of 151 (75-76).

Only two teams managed to score under par the first day. The field was led by host Penn State, which put together a two-round performance of 565 and 3-under par, while Eastern Michigan came in directly behind them with a score of 2-under par.

Councill was again the men’s team’s top finisher Sunday, adding to his weekend by carding a 73. With a total score of 216, he finished 14th overall. DiPasquale also shot 73, which moved him into a tie for 42nd with fellow Hoya O’Neill, who shot 77 in his final round. Moss placed 58th after he posted 77 as well.

Penn State secured the victory on their home turf with a total 855, while Eastern Michigan finished just two shots back. West Virginia and Connecticut similarly managed to stay in contention with scores of 862 and 863.

With the regular season now officially over, the sole remaining tournament on the schedule for both Georgetown squads is the Big East championship.The women’s tournament is set to take place April 19 at Callawassie Island, S.C., while the men’s begins at Callawassie on April 26.