GERMS to Host Run in Memory of Andrea Jaime

Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Service is hosting a five-kilometer run in honor of Andrea Jaime (NHS ’17) — who passed away from bacterial meningitis September 2014 — and to raise funds for a new scholarship in Jaime’s name for Georgetown’s EMT class at the C&O canal Sunday morning.

Donations made in Jaime’s name will go to GERMS to establish the Andrea Jaime Award, used to fund the Georgetown EMT class for Georgetown Scholarship Program students. Jaime, who was taking the EMT class run by GERMS when she passed away, was also a member of GSP.

GERMS Crew Chief Daniela Fishbein (COL ’16) said the award will make EMS more accessible to a wider range of students, especially those in GSP.

“In general, we are always looking for more diversity in GERMS. More diversity makes anything better and GERMS is just a really big commitment to take, because it’s a volunteer job,” Fishbein said. “On top of it, the Georgetown EMT class is a lot of money and a lot of time so just taking away the financial burden for some students would maybe coax some more people into realizing how cool EMS is.”

Fishbein said he expects around 100 people to participate in the run. 146 people have RSVP’ed to the Facebook event at press time.

Idanis Perez-Alvarez (NHS ’17), Jaime’s close friend and a member of GERMS, said Jaime saw medicine as a powerful way to make a difference within the community.

“Andrea had an extreme passion for helping others through medicine,” Perez-Alvarez said.

According to Josh Tobin (COL ’18), director of public relations for the run, GERMS wants to honor Jaime’s commitment to helping others.

“Members of GERMS saw how much she devoted herself to helping other people so we wanted to emulate that with this run,” Tobin said. “I know she really enjoyed physical exercise and running so we wanted to highlight how much she enjoyed that.”

Marjia Jannati (NHS ’17), a friend of Jaime’s, said in a 2014 article in The Hoya [“Jaime Remembered for Selflesness, Passion,” The Hoya, Sept. 19, 2014] that exercise was a passion for Jaime, who regularly ran to the monuments with friends.

“Every time we got there, toward the end, I’d say, ‘I’m tired. Can we slow down and walk this part?’ For her, it was like, ‘No.’ She’d run the hardest in the last 10 minutes,” Jannati said. “I think that sums her up a little bit because she always pushed hard at the end. It didn’t matter if she was tired, she still pushed on.”

According to Tobin, while donations are highly encouraged, the team also highly values student support.

“We don’t want it to be an exclusive event because part of it is showing our solidarity with the campus,” Tobin said. “We really just want people’s support.”