Georgetown Offense Improves, Downs UMES, Rhode Island

Box Score: URI1, URI2, URI3 Box Score: UMES

By Mike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown baseball team’s dormant offense finally regained its stride this weekend, but it wasn’t enough to take a three-game series from the University of Rhode Island. It did, however, provide enough punch to salvage game three and handily defeat the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore.

Georgetown couldn’t seem to put together a consistent all around effort in game one against URI. While the offense, led by freshman shortstop Matt Carullo (3 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored) produced an adequate four runs, the defense faltered, surrendering four unearned runs to the Rams.

Junior pitcher Matt Arizin started the contest for the Hoyas but left after the second inning. Sophomore Paul Perillo came on in relief, giving up six runs, but only two earned, his defense committing four errors behind him.

That turned out to be the difference as the Hoyas dropped game one by a margin of 7-3.

In the shortened game two, the Hoyas lost a heartbreaker in extra innings. Coming off a ghastly outing in which he allowed seven earned runs in one inning of work, sophomore P.J. Martinez rebounded with a very strong performance, allowing two earned runs on four hits, while striking out four in five and a third innings pitched.

Martinez gave way to Hoya closer sophomore Tony Pina, who to this point in the season has been dominant on the mound, with five strikeouts, no runs, no hits and just one walk in two and one third innings of relief.

After recording two outs in the eighth, Pina jammed Rams pinch hitter Ryan Cooney. The ball lazily traveled roughly 320 feet towards the right field power alley, allowing plenty of time for Hoyas’ right fielder junior Brian Cassese to camp under it and put it away.

However, Cassese ran out of room, pulling up at the new, much closer outfield wall, a fence pulled closer due to the recent construction taking place just beyond the wall. What should have been a routine can of corn became Pina’s first hit allowed this season, and a game-winning home run for the Rams.

The Hoyas avoided the series sweep, recovering to win a thrilling game three in 13 innings Monday. After getting burned in the first inning, allowing a two-run home run to Rams’ cleanup hitter Jason Chasmarian, Hoya starting pitcher junior Randy Erwin settled down, allowing only two more runs and two more hits while striking out five batters in seven and two thirds innings of work. Junior Jim Vankoski relieved Erwin on the mound and continue the strong performance, allowing only two more runs and walking none in five and two thirds innings.

The Hoyas answered URI’s runs with a run in the second and three manufactured runs in the third. Vankoski led off the inning with a walk and advanced to second base on an error by URI pitcher Joe August before scoring on a single by freshman Matt Carullo. The Hoyas then loaded the bases with consecutive bunts by senior second baseman Josh Corman and junior Eric Santana.

One out later, Hoya sophomore designated hitter Mike Green sent a sacrifice fly to right field to score Carullo. The Hoyas added the final run of the inning when Cassese reached on an error by Rams’ first baseman Steve Lemieux, scoring Corman.

The score remained deadlocked into the top of the 11th when URI scored a two out run off of reliever Vankoski to take the lead. The Hoyas responded in kind in the bottom half of the inning. With one out, junior Marc Carlini doubled to center field off URI reliever Dan Pearce, who entered the game in the top of the inning. Pearce composed himself as he struck out Vankoski for the second out of the inning, but the Rams could not put the Hoyas away. Shortstop ike LaBarbera couldn’t handle a ball hit by Carullo, and Carlini sprinted home with the tying run, sending the game into its 12th inning.

In the top of the 13th, Chasmarian struck again for the Rams, sending another ball over the right field fence to give the Rams another one run lead. Vankoski recovered quickly, getting the next batter to fly out to center, and striking out URI’s Lee McCarthy to end the inning.

The Hoyas finally ended the contest in the bottom half of the 13th. With one out, nine-hole batter Carlini added to his career-day caliber performance with his fourth hit of the afternoon, a game-tying home run to right field. After a walk to junior Jay Catalano, who had come on to replace Carullo at shortstop, and an intentional walk to Corman, freshman Tony Lee, batting for Vankoski, singled home Catalano for the game winner.

Georgetown turned their victory Monday into a winning streak Wednesday as they manhandled the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore. The Hoya offense exploded, striking early and often battering a helpless UMES defense and pitching staff into submission by a margin of 14-5. UMES starting pitcher Adam Pallone folded like an origami crane, allowing seven runs in two and two thirds innings of work. Not to be outdone, Derrick Pallone surrendered seven runs in three innings for the Hawks, although only two of his were earned.

Freshman Patrick Salvitti proved to be more than adequate on the mound for Georgetown, hurling five strikeouts and yielding only three runs in seven innings.

Freshman third baseman Jason Boice and junior catcher Pat Wade led the attack for the Hoyas with two hits apiece, including a two-run home run for Boice. Catalano cracked the starting lineup for the first time this season, getting the nod at shortstop. He capitalized on his opportunity with two hits and an RBI. Catalano also closed out the game for the Hoyas pitching the eighth and final inning of the game, which was called on account of darkness.

The Hoyas will look to maintain their winning ways this weekend as they host St. Joseph’s on Saturday.