Georgetown Gears Up for Crucial Weekend

1998 just keeps getting better for Head Coach Jolene Nagel. She earned her 200th win on Saturday, Oct. 31, against Villanova’s Wildcats. In her seventh year of coaching, her current squad is off to the best season in the 24-year history of the program. With [an overall record of 20-3 and 7-0 in the Big East](https://www.thehoya.com/sports/womens-volleyball-win-10th-straight/), the Hoyas sit atop the District I rankings, with few teams looking to dethrone them. And Nagel is not the only part of the women’s team with deserved bragging rights. Senior Co-Captain Melissa Tytko surpassed the 1,000 kill mark in the Villanova game. This puts her into fifth place in overall kills, with a total of 1,010, only 18 short of overtaking fourth place Jeane Erlenborn’s (1988-91) record. She also ranks ninth in the NCAA top statistical leaders for hitting percentage with .410 (222 kills, 35 errors, 456 attempts). Tytko is also first in Big East hitting percentage. Underclassmen Kiran Gill and [Yulia Vtyurina, however are the hitting sensations leading the Hoyas consistently in kills](https://www.thehoya.com/sports/no-jitters-for-this-freshman/). Both were honored this week with Big East accolades, Gill with co-Player of the Week, and Vyturina with her fourth Rookie of the Week. Two large challenges are left for the Hoyas to overcome. The first is the Irish on Friday night, and then next week the Hoyas face Rutgers. This weekend, though, should be the greatest challenge to the women’s squad with two very challenging away games. “We are just going to take each match at a time. This weekend is very important, and both games should be great to watch,” Nagel said. Friday night, Notre Dame plays host to the Hoyas, in what is probably the most difficult match of the season for both team. Notre Dame has a deceiving 10-11 overall record, but a 6-1 Big East record. The Hoyas look at sharing their sole position atop the Big East with a loss to Notre Dame. Irish Head Coach Debbie Brown also garnished her 200th win against Syracuse. Notre Dame is tied for second with Connecticut. On Sunday, the Hoyas face a lesser threat from Syracuse. The Orangewomen also have a deceiving overall record of 18-10, while only a 2-5 record in the Big East. A look ahead to next weekend shows the Hoyas facing Seton Hall and Rutgers with a home court advantage to wrap up the end of conference play. Seton Hall is competitive, and won’t be knocked off easily, but they only have a 3-4 Big East record and a 10-11 over-all. Rutgers poses the last threat of the season before the Big East Championship. With a 5-2 record, Rutgers holds third place standing in league, with a 14-9 over-all. The Big East Tournament is scheduled for November 21-22, at Pittsburgh.