Georgetown Flat in 10th Straight Loss

The Georgetown field hockey team (2-13, 0-4 Big East) suffered two more losses this weekend when they traveled to upstate New York to take on No. 8 Syracuse (13-2, 4-0 Big East) and Cornell (6-7, 0-4 Ivy League). With the two defeats, the Hoyas’ losing streak hit ten games.

The Hoyas first traveled to Syracuse, N.Y., to take on the archrival Orange. They were unable to stay with the hosts and lost by 10 goals.

The Blue and Gray were down 2-0 in the first half when junior forward Catherine Shugrue, who was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll after tallying five points this weekend, put the Hoyas on the board. Shugrue scored after junior midfielder Claire Mittermiller’s corner, off an assist from junior midfielder Laura Thistle.

Shugrue’s goal came 18 minutes into the game and the Orange responded emphatically, scoring five times in the next 17 minutes to make the score 7-1 at the half.

“I think we started off at Syracuse in the right mindset,” Head Coach Tiffany Marsh said. “[But] then we broke down collectively.”

Syracuse extended their lead in the second half by scoring four more goals. When the final whistle blew, the scoreline read 11-1 and the Blue and Gray had been outshot, 36-4. Syracuse, however, is currently tied for first in the Big East and has already clinched its Big East tournament berth.

“Considering they are a Top 10 team, I think we did a lot of very good things against them,” Marsh said. “But we need to find a way to stay consistent for 70 minutes of hockey.”

Georgetown then headed to Ithaca to take on Cornell. Despite being close to .500, the Big Red have yet to win a game in the Ivy League, and Georgetown hoped to join the likes of Harvard and Yale by defeating them on Sunday.

The Blue and Gray started the game against Cornell the same way they started against Syracuse two days earlier. The Big Red grabbed an early 2-0 lead before the Hoyas responded with a goal, when junior forward Annie Wilson tipped the ball into the net after a penalty corner.

“Our offense at Cornell took a step forward in the sense that we were getting more shots off in the circle,” Marsh said.

The Georgetown defense couldn’t stop Cornell, though, and the hosts tallied two more goals in the half, putting them up 4-1 at the intermission. The Hoyas went on to play one of their best halves of the season, holding their hosts scoreless for the second half. Unfortunately for the Hoyas, they could only muster one more goal — another one from Shugrue.

“We had a goal of creating as many scoring opportunities as we could,” Marsh said. “We executed well on a corner, and Catherine had a nice touch on a ball from [junior forward] Charlotte [Tierney] for our second goal.”

The Hoyas have three more games to play this season, two of which are against conference opponents.

“We are in a position to end on a very good note,” Marsh said. “Two out of the three games are against Big East competitors, which gives us another opportunity to play Big East hockey. I’m looking forward to making the most out of these last three games.”

The Hoyas play Villanova Friday before taking on local rival American Sunday. Both games will be played at William I. Jacobs Recreational Complex at American University.