French Duo’s Latest Album is Full of Hot Air

ALBUMOFTHEYEAR.ORG
ALBUMOFTHEYEAR.ORG

In 1902 the short film Le Voyage dans la Lune (A Trip to the Moon) was released. The film is considered one of the most important movies ever created, and this past year it was completely revamped. The film was rereleased in hand-painted color and, additionally, the Groupama GanFoundation for the Cinema and the Technicolor Foundation decided that the film would no longer be a silent experience. This is where the French music duo Nicholas Godin and Jean-Benoit Dunckel, better known as Air, come into the picture. The two foundations approached Air about crafting a soundtrack for the film, and Air, in turn, created both a soundtrack for the movie and a full- length album.

The latest version of the film debuted at Cannes in 2011 and was met with critical acclaim. Air was so moved by their work for the 16-minute film and the soundtrack that they expanded on their score for the movie and have crafted a 30-minute, full-length album. The album is titled Le Voyage dans la Lune, the same name as the movie it takes its inspiration from.

While the film may be known as one of the most acclaimed works of cinema, this album will not be known as one of the best works in music. This record is not special or noteworthy. This isn’t to say that the album is not a job well done and that Air’s extremely detailed work isn’t to be appreciated, but rather the album as a whole is, to be frank, boring.

Every song is detailed and immaculately crafted, as if there’s a certain pre-planned formula that the duo created and now feel they have no choice but to stick to. The sound of the album feels stale, like it’s been done a bunch of other times — even by Air themselves — but back then even they executed it with more feeling.

The combination of instruments was obviously aimed at creating some sort of intriguing layer to the songs, but this technique ends up falling flat. The songs that include vocals, like “Cosmic Trip” and “Seven Stars,” sound like the vocals were added in at the last minute. The voices detract from the intricately designed melodies and rhythms that should instead be the stars. This album is more of a collection of background noise than it is a collection of songs to be played over and over again for enjoyment.

The effort and time that Air put into this record is obvious; however, their efforts seem forced and unenthusiastic. It is almost as if they’re trying to proves that they’re still the electronic power houses they were once deemed to be. Instead, this album has proven just how much work Air has left to get back to that place.