Freeman’s Sickness Revealed to Be Diabetes

Georgetown junior guard Austin Freeman has developed diabetes, an athletic department spokesperson confirmed to THE HOYA Wednesday night.

The Washington Post first reported the news late Wednesday that Freeman, Georgetown’s leading scorer, has been diagnosed with diabetes.

Freeman was limited in the Hoyas’ 78-64 loss to Notre Dame on Saturday, and he missed Monday night’s 81-68 loss to West Virginia due to what was then described as a stomach virus.

\”Whether he is out there in practice today, or at the game on Saturday, or whenever he plays in a game, the most important thing is his health,\” Head Coach John Thompson III told The Post. \”He obviously has his family, but he also has our family and the support of his friends, teammates, coaches and trainers here.\”

Freeman reportedly practiced with his teammates on Wednesday afternoon.

\”It felt real good out there to be back on the floor and playing with my team,\” Freeman said.

Diabetes is a condition in which the body either produces an insufficient amount of insulin or one in which cells do not react properly to the insulin that is produced. Insulin is needed to convert sugars and starches into energy.

No decision has been made as to Freeman’s status for Saturday’s regular season finale against Cincinnati and next week’s Big East Tournament.

Check back with [The Hoya Paranoia](https://blogs.thehoya.com/paranoia) and [Hoya Sports’ Twitter](https://twitter.com/thehoyasports) for continuing coverage.

*Correction: Due to an editing error, the initial headline reported the type of diabetes Freeman has. The type has not yet been determined.*”