Forum Focuses on Sustainability

The newly created Office of Sustainability highlighted its goal to cut university greenhouse gas emissions 50 percent before 2020 during the inaugural Sustainable Planning Campus Workshop on Tuesday night.
The workshop was held in the Intercultural Center in conjunction with the Office of Planning and Facilities Management.
“This is a very ambitious charge, but we’re working toward it,” Director of the Office of Sustainability Audrey Stewart said. “Part of what we’re doing here is creating our carbon roadmap.”
Administrators and students involved with sustainability on campus presented their work and aspirations to the approximately 50 people in attendance.
Stewart described the university’s sustainability goals, such as its pledge to cut greenhouse gas emissions significantly in the coming years.
The university has earned accolades in this regard, including recognition from the Environmental Protection Agency as “Green Power Partner of the Year” and achieving bronze status for bicycle friendliness.
Vice President for Planning and Facilities Management Robin Morey said that the university’s sustainability was a key consideration in master planning. Morey said that improving sidewalks would encourage bicycle use and utilizing green technology such as rainwater runoff collection would prove beneficial to the campus community.
“We think about smart growth strategies and making sure our transportation is sustainable, as well as enhancing our green spaces on campus,” Morey said.
With energy conservation measures, there could be monetary as well as environmental perks.
“We let the capital savings, from an operational perspective, fund the actual capital investment moving forward,” Stewart said. The Office of Sustainability hopes to have a draft of a sustainability plan within the next six months, Stewart added.
During the workshop the land and grounds table highlighted potential changes to university aesthetics such as improving the Regents center lawn, developing North Kehoe field into green space, adding trees to the green space near the Jesuit residence or creating a community garden near the Leavey Center.
At the water discussion table, facilitated by Makaiah Mohler (COL ’16), individuals proposed creating “green roofs,” planting trees and shrubs on Harbin Patio and outside New South and eliminating Georgetown’s contract with Coca-Cola in order to restrict its advertising influence and promote student health.
“Discussions are going great because both students and faculty are really excited about making Georgetown a more sustainable campus,” Mohler said.