Ford, Kaestner, Georgetown Rank at Top of Big East in New Preseason Poll

As Washington prepares for a major snowstorm, the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team is preparing for what could be a memorable spring season. They have been picked to finish first in the Big East in the 2010 preseason Big East coaches’ poll. The Hoyas finished as regular season champions of the then-eight team league last year.

The Hoyas return many of their top players from a year ago, including seniors Molly Ford and Ashby Kaestner, who were named to the 13-player preseason all-Big East Team.

For the attack Ford, it is the second consecutive year she has been named to the preseason all-Big East team, after earning Second Team All-American honors and First Team all-Big East last year, as well as Third-Team All-American after her sophomore campaign. The Hoya also named her its female athlete of the year for 2008-2009. Ford was Georgetown’s leading scorer last year, finishing with 55 goals and 17 assists for 72 points.

Kaestner, a midfielder, also earned her second nomination to the pre-season all-Big East team. During her junior campaign, Kaestner was named to her second consecutive Second Team All-American team and to the First Team all-Big East squad; she also won Big East Midfielder of the Year. Kaestner ranked third on the team in scoring with 62 (44 goals and 18 assists). Kaestner led the Hoyas in draw controls with 44 and was second on the team in ground balls with 33.

The Hoyas are led into action by fourth-year Head Coach Ricky Fried. The Blue and Gray have also earned a No. 6 ranking in the nation from Lacrosse Magazine and a No. 7 ranking from Inside Lacrosse in the preseason polls. They are the highest ranked Big East team, with Syracuse and Notre Dame finishing right behind the Hoyas in both the preseason Big East polls and the national rankings.