Football | GU Looks to Rebound and Send Seniors Off With a Win

FILE PHOTO: KARLA LEYJA/THE HOYA Senior wide reciever Jake DeCicco recorded eight receptions and 86 yards in Georgetown’s 38-31 loss to the Fordham Rams last Saturday.
FILE PHOTO: KARLA LEYJA/THE HOYA
Senior wide reciever Jake DeCicco recorded eight receptions and 86 yards in Georgetown’s 38-31 loss to the Fordham Rams last Saturday.

After its comeback efforts fell short at home this past weekend, the Georgetown football team (4-6, 2-3 Patriot League) will take a seven-hour road trip to Worcester, Mass., this Saturday to face Holy Cross (5-5, 2-3 Patriot League). In their final matchup of the season, the Hoyas hope to continue their success from their last two meetings with the Crusaders.

Last time out, the Blue and Gray faced a well-known foe in the Fordham Rams (9-2, 5-1 Patriot League). Georgetown has struggled to compete with the Rams in the past, but last weekend it put up a fight. The Hoyas trailed 28-7 into the second quarter but senior quarterback Kyle Nolan stepped up, leading two scoring drives before the half.

After a Rams field goal, the Hoyas missed an opportunity to stay within a touchdown of their opponent. The momentum shifted at the end of the third quarter when senior defensive lineman Hunter Kiselick intercepted a pass that put the offense back on the field. Four plays later Nolan connected with freshman wide receiver Brandon Williams for a touchdown to bring his team within three at the end of the third quarter.

The Blue and Gray continued its push with a 34-yard field goal in the fourth quarter by junior kicker Henry Darmstadter. With the score tied at 31, Georgetown gave up a 76-yard kick return that led to a touchdown. Still resilient, the Hoyas drove to the 20-yard line, but with 27 seconds left, a Rams interception ended the Hoyas’ comeback hopes.

“Just being relentless no matter the situation,” senior linebacker Matthew Satchell said. “It’s just been the mentality of our team this season. Just never give up and keep on fighting.”

That’s exactly what the Blue and Gray will hope to do against a tough Holy Cross team. Holy Cross defeated Bucknell (4-6, 1-4 Patriot League) last weekend 23-7 in what turned out to be a career day for junior wide receiver Brendan Flaherty. He caught 11 passes for 100 yards, breaking the Crusaders’ single-season record for receptions with 96. Junior quarterback Peter Pujals completed 30 of his 47 passes for 304 yards and two touchdowns. Georgetown’s defense will be challenged, but it does not foresee any potential change in its approach against Holy Cross.

“We’re just focused on making sure we understand our scheme and make sure we perfect it,” Satchell said.

In their last game against the Crusaders, the Hoyas won 21-16 at home. The win was their only victory against a conference rival last season. Nolan went 12-for-21 for 160 yards and two touchdowns.

“He’s played great against them the past two years and obviously he’s the key to our offense so we’re going to try and get behind Kyle early,” senior wide receiver Jake DeCicco said. “We trust our defense wholeheartedly, but we know that Holy Cross puts up points the same way Fordham does, but we know that they’re going to get some stops and try to get Kyle going early.”

Even with a game left to play, the Georgetown football program has not had this much success since the 2012-13 season, when it finished 5-6 overall and 2-3 in the conference.

“We’re learning how to win as a program and that’s something that’s the expectation around here, not the exception,” Head Coach Rob Sgarlata said.

Sgarlata attributes much of his team’s recent success to the 16 seniors who played their final home game last week.

“I wish I had 11 more games to play with this crew,” Sgarlata said. “They fought through a ton of things that had nothing to do with football this year and I just think it shows the overall leadership and character of that senior class.”

With one game left to play against Holy Cross, the senior class looks to lead its team to victory.

“That’s kind of the legacy we want to leave behind is going out on top with the win,” DeCicco said.

The Hoyas look to finish their season at .500 and to send off their seniors with a win. Kickoff is set for 12:05 p.m. at Fitton Field.