A fire broke out in a privately owned student residence at 3410 Prospect Street on Saturday morning. D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded to the scene and the fire was contained before serious damage was sustained to the building.

The fire started due to lighted candles in an upstairs bedroom, according to the house’s landlord, John Dreyfuss. Georgetown alumnus Robert Devaney said that he discovered the incident around between 9:30 and 10 a.m. while he was walking to Wisemiller’s Deli for breakfast.

Four engine companies, two truck companies, one rescue squad and two battalion chiefs were dispatched to the house, according to a D.C. Fire Department sergeant. The fire was quickly contained to the bedroom in which it broke out, according to Dreyfuss.

“[The response was] everything you could have hoped for. [The firefighters] did what they had to do in a professional manner,” Dreyfuss said.

According to Dreyfuss, the damage was minimal, and 95 percent was due to smoke. One of the windows on the second floor of the house was broken by the fire department in order to facilitate access to the room where the fire occurred.

There was no inadequate equipment in the house, and Dreyfuss said that all of the fire alarms worked.

Residents of the house declined to comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*