FIELD HOCKEY | GU Ends Season By Dropping Pair

The Georgetown field hockey team (2-17, 0-6 Big East) finished its season with a whimper, losing its final two games last weekend to Villanova (7-12, 2-4 Big East) and No. 11 Lafayette (15-1, 5-0 Patriot League) by scores of 5-3 and 7-0, respectively.

Sunday’s defeat marked the career finale for 10 Georgetown seniors, the largest senior class that Head Coach Tiffany Marsh has ever had.

The weekend began with a tense clash with the Wildcats, where the Hoyas twice threatened to close a three-goal deficit but failed to complete the comeback, with Villanova sophomore forward Leah High scoring four of her team’s five goals.

The Wildcats jumped on the Hoyas early, scoring three goals in the first nine minutes of the game.

After quickly falling behind, the Blue and Gray staved off several Villanova shots with the help of two saves from senior goalkeeper Briana Pereira. Georgetown then struck back, as senior midfielder Caitlin Hickey scored off of a penalty corner from freshman midfielder Emily Weinberg.

The Hoyas continued their comeback attempt at the beginning of the second half, when senior forward Annie Wilson scored just 20 seconds in. However, Georgetown could not tie the game, as Villanova’s High added another goal to her tally to restore her team’s advantage.

After another flurry of Villanova shots, the Blue and Gray staged one last comeback attempt with a goal by freshman forward Sarah Butterfield in the 64th minute. High erased any doubt of the game’s final outcome, though, by scoring a fourth goal during a fast break with seven minutes remaining.

If the Hoyas considered their close loss at Villanova to be any kind of moral victory, their first half destruction at the hands of Lafayette erased the lingering good feelings.

The Leopards came into the game shooting and recorded a remarkable 20 shots in the first half, while the Hoyas could not attempt a single one. Thanks to superb goalkeeping by Pereira — who finished the game with 14 saves — Lafayette could not score until the game’s 15th minute. After that, unfortunately, a goal from senior forward Deanna Dicroce opened the floodgates, as Lafayette scored three goals at the end of the first half.

In the second half, the Hoyas turned much of the momentum, attempting the same number of shots as Lafayette in the period. However, this shift was not reflected in the score, as Lafayette scored four goals in the first 20 minutes of the second half, including two in the 51st minute. Although Georgetown threatened to score in the final minutes, it was ultimately shut out for the fourth time this season.

Along with Pereira, Hickey and Wilson, Georgetown seniors who played their final games were midfielder Claire Mittermiller, forward Catherine Shugrue, forward Charlotte Tierney, midfielder Laura Thistle, midfielder Kimberley Keating, forward Molly McShea and midfielder Katy Wingo.