The Georgetown Field Hockey team (2-9, 0-2 Big East) dropped a pair of away games this weekend when they fell to both Rutgers (3-8, 1-2 Big East) and Monmouth (8-4, 0-0 Northeast) in New Jersey.

The Hoyas lost to the Scarlet Knights on Friday after squandering a 2-0 lead. The loss dropped the Blue and Gray to 0-2 in the Big East. Georgetown then made the short trip south to Monmouth where they were unable to stop the Hawks’ potent offense. The pair of losses brings the Hoyas’ losing streak to six.

The Hoyas came out ready to play in their first game. Junior forward Annie Wilson scored in the 13th minute when she was able to pass a defender and slip the ball past Rutgers’ sophomore goalie SarahStuby to give the Hoyas the lead. The Blue and Gray’s defense looked confident, and both sides of the field played a strong game well into the first half, after struggling in the past few games.

Junior goalie Briana Pereira made numerous saves in the first 20 minutes and junior midfielder Claire Mittermiller was able to push the ball past Stuby after two blocked shots from Wilson and gave the Hoyas a 2-0 lead.

The lead crumbled, however, as soon as the Blue and Gray reverted to their recent form. It seemed as if the Hoyas would go into halftime sitting pretty with a two-goal lead, but the Scarlet Knights somehow found it in them to even the score with two goals in less than five minutes before the halftime whistle blew.

It was clear that Rutgers’ spirits had been lifted by their offensive surge, and they came out fighting after the intermission. The Scarlet Knights took nine more shots than the Hoyas in the second half, but Georgetown’s defense managed to hold Rutgers even until the final minute of the game, when Scarlet Knights’ senior forward Nicole Gentile scored the game-winner and left the Hoyas with a heartbreaking loss.

“We need to work on consistency and giving 110 percent for all 70 minutes,” Shugrue said.

Fresh off defeat, the Hoyas looked to have a new start when they took on the Hawks Sunday. Shugrue gave the Hoyas a 1-0 advantage 27 seconds into the game, but the lead was short-lived. Monmouth tied the game and took the lead within 10 minutes of Shugrue’s goal. Though that would be all they needed, the Hawks scored three more times and trampled the Hoyas both offensively and defensively. The Hawks’ defense was stifling and held the Hoyas to four shots the entire game.

“Rutgers and Monmouth are both highly-skilled teams,” Shugrue said. “Unfortunately they were able to outplay us and come away with wins this weekend.”

The Hoyas return home this weekend for two home games—first against Big East rival No. 2 Connecticut (10-1, 3-0 Big East) on Friday at 3 p.m. and then against St. Joseph’s (3-6, 0-0 Atlantic 10) on Sunday at noon. Both games will be played at the William I Jacobs Recreational Complex at American University.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *