FIELD HOCKEY | Georgetown Falls to Davidson in Opener

The Georgetown field hockey team (0-1) opened their 2011 season with a 2-0 loss against Davidson (1-0). The Davidson game was the first of two planned games in the Georgetown invitational, but the La Salle matchup was postponed until Tuesday due to Hurricane Irene.

The Hoyas started the first half with two shots on goal in the first three minutes of play, but were denied both times by junior goalkeeper Sarah Fisher. Georgetown junior Briana Periera was also flawless in goal in the first half, and the scoreboard remained blank at the halftime break.

The second half proved to be more exciting. Unfortunately for the Hoyas, the excitement came at their own expense. Wildcat midfielder Annie Evans opened the scoring 18 minutes into the second half and followed up with a second goal less than 10 minutes later. The Hoyas could not respond in the remaining time, dropping the opener, 2-0.

The Hoyas took a total of 13 shots in the game Friday compared to sixteen for Davidson. Georgetown junior forward Catherine Shugrue, fresh off being named to the preseason Big East first team, fired six of the Blue and Gray’s 13 shots.

The Wildcats and Hoyas are quite familiar by now, having played each other every year early in the season since 2008. The Hoyas suffered their worst defeat this year, after losing by one goal in 2008 and 2009 and losing in penalty strokes last season.

The rescheduled game with LaSalle will be held Tuesday at 3 p.m., at William I. Jacobs Recreational Complex at American University.