FBI: Violent Crimes Down, Forcible Rape Up in DC

While the District saw a moderate reduction in 2010 violent crime levels, reports of forcible rape jumped 25 percent, according to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report released on Monday.

Forcible rapes numbered 187, which is 37 more than the previous year. According to Metropolitan Police Department crime statistics, 10 of those incidents occurred in Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E, which includes Georgetown and Burleith.

Overall, D.C.’s numbers of violent crime dropped from 7,586 in 2009 to 7,468 in 2010, a two percent decrease.

The FBI report, which was compiled from figures collected at the local, city and federal levels, pointed to similar crime trends across the country. In the last year, national rates of violent crime decreased by 6 percent totalling 1,246,248 incidents.

With a violent crime rate of 1,241 incidents per 100,000 residents, the District is more statistically dangerous than the hometowns of many peer institutions. The Boston and South Bend, Ind. metro areas, home to Boston College and the University of Notre Dame respectively, had rates of 903 and 716 per 100,000 residents.

Yale’s New Haven, Conn. had a per 100,000 rate of 1,595, making it the most violent city in Connecticut.

However, New Haven saw significantly fewer forcible rapes than the District did, with 70 incidents for 2010. Boston and South Bend saw 256 and 52 incidents respectively.