Fall Season Ends on Disappointing Note

This last week, the Georgetown men’s golf team capped off its fall season by playing host to the Georgetown Intercollegiate, held at The Members Club at Four Streams in Beallsville, Md. Sadly for the Hoyas, inconsistent play once again led them to a 10th-place finish, posting a combined final team score of 38-over par 890.

The disappointing finish for the Blue and Gray came despite a dominant performance from freshman Charlie von Arentschildt, who placed fourth in the individual competition.

Coming into their last fall competition, the Hoyas knew a strong finish would not be easy, especially because of their role as hosts.

“The strength of the tournament field was the best it has been in the last 10 years, so we knew going in we would have to perform to a very high level,” Head Coach Tommy Hunter said. “Add that to the pressure of playing on your own golf course and you come up with a lot of pressure.”

Conscious of the strong field and pressure, Georgetown did not help their own cause early on. In keeping with tradition this season, the Hoyas started lethargically, posting a first-round team score of 11-over par 295. Senior co-captain Danny Hathway posted the lowest score for the Hoyas in the first round with a 1-over par 72.

The Blue and Gray righted their ship to a certain extent in the second round, shaving a few strokes of their first-round score and finishing with a 6-under par 290, still well behind the leaders. Hathway again provided the team low for the second round, carding an even par 71. Sophomore Curtis Loop and senior co-captain Brandon Ellis both turned in respectable 1-over par 72.

Going into the final round, Georgetown hoped to close out fall play with a solid finish and look for some positives heading into the winter. Unfortunately for the Blue and Gray, that was nothing but wishful thinking, as the Hoyas posted their worst round of the tournament, finishing with a 21-over par 305.

In the end, Georgetown finished 43 strokes back of the tournament champion, Campbell University, whose consistent sub-290 team scores propelled them to the victory. Rounding out the top five were Miami University (Ohio), Richmond, Xavier, and Eastern Michigan.

As the Hoyas crumbled round by round in team competition, von Arentschildt compiled one of the top performances by a Georgetown golfer this fall. In the first round, he posted a decent score of 2-over par 73. In the second, he shot one of the lowest rounds of the tournament, a 4-under par 68. Von Arentschildt finished the tournament with a 2-under par 70 third round, which tied him for fourth overall, just six strokes back of first-place Austin Kelly from Miami.

“We were very proud of [von Arentschildt],” Hunter said. “His rounds of 73-68-70 landed him a top-five finish, which is very impressive.”

Although the Hoyas failed to close out the tournament with the desired improvement, Hunter was able to pick out plenty of positives heading into the offseason.

“Disappointing? Yes, but at the same time we are very proud of our fall season and what we accomplished,” Hunter said. “Our team scoring average is the best it has been in the last 10 years, so we are going to build on that as we pick up things in the spring.”