Editorial: Getting to the Core Are the goals of the undergraduate core curricula being fully realized?

What does it mean to hold a Georgetown degree?

Every undergraduate receives a degree in a major or even two, which allow for concentration in a specified field. Still, major requirements fill, at most, only half of the average student’s credit hours over four years. Another portion of undergraduate courses consists of core requirements dictated by Georgetown, one of the few universities that still maintains core curricula. But as they stand, are the goals of these curricula being fully realized?

Each of the university’s four undergraduate programs has its own respective core curriculum. They differ slightly in focus, but they share a common commitment to the development of a well-rounded, intellectually curious student capable of critical reasoning and respect for tradition.

After examining the core curricula of each school, we believe that certain changes could create a common thread among the otherwise academically distinct Georgetown undergraduates. As a private Jesuit institution, Georgetown has the unique opportunity to engage students in the timeless and longstanding Western thought tradition. For centuries, Jesuit teachers have carried on this tradition and introduced students to a discussion about the fundamental aspects of humanity.

By ensuring that its students are exposed to the great minds that have shaped the groundwork and guided the development of the Western tradition, Georgetown can fulfill its duty of providing each undergraduate student with invaluable foundational knowledge. These timeless ideas establish a common thread that would not only set a Georgetown education apart from the rest, but also help to create a more cohesive intellectual community on the Hilltop.

Recently, the potential of our core curricula has been somewhat diluted by the relative looseness of the general education requirements. By standardizing some of the introductory core requirements, specifically the philosophy, theology, English and humanities and writing courses, all students could be exposed to these enduring topics. This would further ensure the integrity of a Georgetown degree. With that said, professors should be able to teach these uniform topics in their own manner or style.

Our first proposal is the creation of a two-semester philosophy requirement that integrates the current general philosophy with the ethics requirement. This class would expose students to important figures and ideas in the Western tradition of philosophy and foster discussion that develops individual students’ relationships to these ideas.

Traditionally, the Problem of God theology course is intended to be a shared experience among students at this Catholic university. It is supposed to provide them with a critical perspective on religion and theological questions, yet it seems to fall short of this endeavor. By replacing Problem of God with a course that presents Georgetown’s Jesuit heritage, a Catholic theology course, students would better understand the university’s constitution. Whether or not to take a second theology course should remain at the students’ discretion. This would allow students to explore different religions and worldviews that can only be explored at a Jesuit institution like Georgetown.

For the English requirement, we advocate for one semester of English for all students. The courses would be similar to the current gateways. They would each focus on “great writers” of a specific time period, but the subject and the manner of teaching would be the choice of each professor. This course would provide students with at least some background knowledge in literature, which like philosophy, forms a large part of Western thought.

All students should also be required to take at least one humanities and writing course in order to give them the writing skills necessary for college. As THE HOYA argued earlier this semester on Nov. 2, students who test out of the Humanities and Writing I requirement with AP credit are often like deer in headlights when they get negative feedback on their first writing assignments. For this reason, the Humanities and Writing II requirement should better stress fundamental skills despite its diverse subject matter.

As for the social sciences, Georgetown offers courses in many different departments, but unfortunately requires students to take two courses in the same subject. Students should have the choice to continue in the same subject or explore a different discipline. By allowing students to gain new perspectives through different disciplines, they gain a more well-rounded view and in the process learn more about themselves. History, math, science and language requirements need no tinkering as of now. They offer students useful background knowledge and diverse perspectives that productively influence their worldviews.

The value of a liberal arts education, in communion with the Western tradition, cannot be underestimated. All it does, and all it can ever seek to do, is inform its students of the great intellectual fortune that has preceded them and which they will inherit. No student, engaged in whatever field of study they choose, should be able to walk out of Healy Gates without having wrestled with Homer and Augustine, or having waltzed with Shakespeare and Aquinas. This mutual experience of all students who receive a Georgetown diploma would add significant meaning to the undergraduate education and stimulate an intellectual revelry. The dialogue of every undergraduate would be informed by a common academic experience. At the very least, a reformed core curriculum would certainly improve the discussions of students around the Leo’s dinner table.