Dusting Off Lau’s Systems

On-campus space is a scarce commodity at Georgetown. Finding a place to hold meetings or group study sessions — especially during midterms and finals, or on short notice — can be a challenging test in itself.

Lauinger Library has the potential to take on a greater role in alleviating this problem. The library, which has an assortment of group meeting spaces on the second and fourth floors, can be optimized as a more convenient place for students to gather and study.

The library’s current room reservation system is strikingly out of date. Most students don’t even know how to go about booking a room in the first place. As Lauinger’s policy stands now, a student must make a trip or call down to the Access Services Desk on the third floor at least a day in advance. Perhaps this makes reservations easier to track for library staff, but it makes reserving rooms needlessly inconvenient for students.

An online reservation system, similar to the one employed by the McDonough School of Business to reserve breakout rooms in the Hariri Building, would make reserving rooms in Lauinger much simpler. This solution — currently under consideration by the library staff and gaining popularity on the online discussion board IdeaScale — would allow for more efficient use of student resources.

Lauinger’s aesthetics may not make it the most beloved campus building, but its underutilized space resources are certainly worth tapping into.