DPS Expands Area Presence

A new order passed by the Metropolitan Police Department allows university police officers to take a more active role in handling off-campus incidents involving students.

MPD officers have been directed to inform campus police departments when they receive calls from campus-affiliated locations, such as off-campus student residence buildings. Per the new orders, they should also invite the campus police to respond to the site, according to the Georgetown Dish.

Georgetown officials are pleased that members of the university’s Department of Public Safety will now consistently be present when students interact with city law enforcement agents, according to Georgetown Director of Media Relations Rachel Pugh.

“This order makes clear that campus safety officers and MPD work cooperatively to address incidents on or near campuses. The order does not extend jurisdiction but does allow campuses and MPD to work together to best allocate safety resources,” Pugh wrote in an email.

Jake Sticka (COL ’13), the student representative to Georgetown’s Advisory Neighborhood Commission, said that this protocol is a positive development.

“In general, I think this should be a welcome change for students. If anything, [DPS officers] will moderate the response from the MPD,” Sticka said.

John Mitchell (COL ’13), who lives in the off-campus residence LXR Hall, expressed approval for the new order, but had some reservations.

“If you’ve made a call to the Metropolitan Police, but you’re still on campus jurisdiction, it seems fair to involve DPS or whatever campus officials,” he said. “But, it would seem unfair if you were doubly penalized for any illegal activity by MPD and DPS.”

The new policy is the result of dialogue between MPD and the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area.

Georgetown ANC Commissioner Ed Solomon said that he thinks MPD will continue to respond to all 911 calls. MPD will notify campus police when the calls come from properties that are owned or controlled by the university, but not necessarily if they are called to locations where students live outside of the university’s jurisdiction, such as group houses.

“It’s a courtesy to the campus police,” Solomon said.

The new order comes shortly after the enactment of the noise law amendment that enacts stricter punishments for violations.

Students hope that the presence of DPS officers will ensure that they receive fair, reasonable punishment for any transgressions.

“If you’re abiding by the same rules of campus housing, even if you’re technically off campus, I think it’s fair that you’re held accountable,” Mitchell said.

MPD and DPS could not be reached for comment.