District Launches Bid for New Amazon Headquarters

The growing and highly educated population of Washington, D.C., makes it the perfect metropolitan area for Amazon to build a second headquarters, Mayor Muriel Bowser (D) announced Sept. 14 while launching the District’s bid.
Bowser officially announced D.C.’s bid though a video titled “Obviously, Washington, D.C.” In the video, Bowser discusses why the District is a good fit for the new headquarters.

“Trying to attract 50,000 more employees, they’re looking for a great place to live and to work. And they want to be able to walk around the city and have great restaurants and arts,” Bowser said in the video. “Well, that’s why a thousand people move here every month.”

D.C.’s bid comes after Amazon’s public request last month for proposals, which asks cities to show the company why they should build their new headquarters there.

Amazon said it is seeking a metropolitan area accessible by public transportation and near a national airport, according to its website.

The company plans to invest $5 billion into the urban area it chooses for its new headquarters and aims to make its new campus “a full equal” to the company’s headquarters in Seattle.

The new headquarters will reportedly take up over 8 million square feet of office space, an area greater than that of the Pentagon. Amazon has said that the headquarters will provide up to 50,000 jobs, raising the stakes for cities that have announced bids. Cities across the United States like Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, and Denver have already announced bids. Toronto and Vancouver have also announced bids.

Citing D.C.’s growing population and tech scene, Bowser believes that D.C. is ideal for a new headquarters.

“With our growing tech scene, talented and diverse workforce and inclusive environment, Washington, D.C., is well-positioned to welcome Amazon,” Bowser said at a press conference Sept. 14.

Bowser also explained that the city is attractive to potential employees.

“People know they’re coming to D.C. to start and grow their businesses and they have access to some of the most talented people and the top universities in the world,” Bowser said in the video.

Washington, D.C., is the world’s first LEED Platinum city, which could be a draw if Amazon wants to increase their focus on sustainability as a company, and is also a hub for technological innovation, Bowser said.

“I’m sure Amazon employees are just as committed as we are to being green and sustainable,” Bowser said in the video. “They’re making big decisions around shopping and changing the world and we do the same thing right here in Washington, D.C.”

Bowser also mentioned Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos’s ties to D.C., including his ownership of The Washington Post and a $23 million home in the Kalorama Heights neighborhood.

Bowser is seeking assistance from D.C. residents in integrating community suggestions in the proposal. Given that Amazon’s new headquarters will affect residents, she has also asked for locals’ input.

All suggestions are due by Sept. 22, in advance of Amazon’s Oct. 19 proposal deadline.

“So, in addition to weighing in on social media, I am asking residents and stakeholders in all eight wards to help my team by submitting testimonials about why D.C. is a great place to do business, suggestions for creative [Response For Proposal] response elements that showcase D.C., and any and all ideas you may have for our proposal,” Bowser said on the website.