Dining Services to Donate Food

Georgetown University Dining Services held a canned food drive in O’Donovan Hall this week in honor of Thanksgiving.

Donations will be given to Bread for the City, a nonprofit organization that provides food, clothing and other social services to impoverished people in Washington, D.C.

Students, the Georgetown Dining team and other members of the campus community were encouraged to donate nonperishable goods by placing them on a table that was set up in the lobby of Leo’s during the week of Nov. 12.

“We chose Bread for the City for this food drive due to their commitment [to] providing healthy food to vulnerable residents of the D.C. area, and [we] are interested in learning about other area organizations to partner with in the future,” Dining Services Market Manager Kendra Boyer wrote in an email.

However, Bread for the City usually requests monetary donations to purchase turkeys instead of non-perishable goods at this time of year.

“We encourage people to run fundraising drives instead so we can purchase turkeys, which … we need most this time of year,” Development Associate of Communications for Bread for the City Jessica Nazar said. “We will accept food donations, but the reason we encourage people to fundraise is because we promote healthy eating, and a lot of times, people donate unhealthy non-perishable goods for us to use.”

To alleviate this problem, Dining Services is only requesting healthy foods — low-sodium, low-sugar and whole-wheat products.

Boyer said that the goal is to collect several boxes of food by Nov. 18.

“We are anticipating the drive to be [a] success with student involvement and hope that it will become an annual drive,” she wrote.