Dialogues Unite Hindus, Muslims

Dialogues Unite Hindus, Muslims

By Kevin Brogan Hoya Staff Writer

Several campus groups sponsored “A Hindu-Muslim Dialogue,” a panel discussion on Tuesday night at Copley Formal Lounge that focused on the importance and possibility of harmony between the two faiths.

The dialogue, sponsored by Campus Ministry, GU Special Programs, South Asian Society, the GUSA Diversity Committee and the Muslim Student Association, featured a panel of two Hindus and two Muslims who sought to establish a better understanding of their respective faiths. Roughly 40 people, representing a fairly diverse make-up, were present for this event.

“It is my innermost prayer that this discussion causes the Hindu to become a better Hindu, the Muslim a better Muslim, and the Christian a better Christian,” moderator David Daftary (SFS ’00) read in a letter by Anand Chulani (COL ’98).

The four panelists spoke on the relationship of their religion relative to other religions, and how that relationship is lived out.

According to Shaligram Shukla, professor of linguistics, “There is no duality between a Hindu or a Christian or Muslim.” Shukla attributes this to the central Hindu tenet, advaita, which refers to the concept of non-duality between the individual, each other, and the divine. For this reason, he said, “A typical Hindu is compassionate.”

“To get anywhere in such a dialogue, we must make every effort to understand the mysterium tremendum in Muslim and Hindu faiths … we can not approach either as an outsider because they are both so existentialist,” said Ahmed Hussain, a Muslim panelist. He spoke of the importance of seeing both Muslim and Hindu traditions as religions and not ideologies or political movements. Hussain said, “Both Muslim and Hindu religions embody a divine truth.”

Mahanth Joishy (SFS ’01) spoke on the Hindu tradition. He focused on the ways in which Hindu and Muslim faiths have influenced and shaped one another throughout history.

“A Hindu today often does not eat pork,” he said, “even though he would have before the arrival of the Muslim.” According to Joishy, Hindu, Muslim and Christian religions stress the importance of following one’s conscience. Because the Hindu tradition recognizes the legitimacy of many gods, Joishy said, “A Hindu may follow the practices of any religion and still be a Hindu.”

Muqtedar Khan, the second Muslim panelist, related the adversity he felt from his Hindu wife’s parents when he, as a Muslim, first proposed to her. He stressed the importance of trying to get past the current animosity between Hindu and Muslim people.

“If God has sent people to all places and communities, no Muslim can say others are apart from the truth.” Khan said. “Muslims think of the world as having one religion with many different laws.”

Khan also said that Muslim-Hindu relations have been hindered in recent years by the political conflict between India and Pakistan.

“Hindu hatred for Pakistan has been translated into hatred for uslims. But, Muslims are often condescending to Hindus.

“The conflict can only be resolved through more profound theological discussions, like which occurred tonight, to reach a high level of mutual understanding.”