Despite Weather, GU Shines

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

This past weekend both the women’s and men’s Georgetown crew teams took to the water. The women rowed against North Carolina and Duke on Saturday, and then California and Michigan State on Sunday. All races were on the Potomac River. Meanwhile, the lightweight men were in Ithaca, N.Y. to take on Cornell.

Georgetown Head Coach Tony Johnson summed up the women’s weekend: “The wind was miserable, the racing was good.”

The women split their races with North Carolina on Saturday morning, as the Hoyas won the varsity four and novice eight but lost both varsity eight races. The Hoyas’ varsity four won with a time of 7:30.5, eight seconds ahead of the Tar Heels. The Georgetown varsity eight lost, however, with a time of 6:22.7, only three seconds behind the Tar Heels’ 6:19.6.

In the afternoon, the Hoyas swept all three races from Duke. The varsity eight crushed the Blue Devils, winning by nearly 24 seconds, with a time of 6:22.6. Likewise, the varsity four had a convincing victory of nearly 6 seconds, finishing at 7:16.9. The novice eight completed the sweep with a time of 6:33.6, twelve seconds ahead of the Blue Devils.

Johnson called Georgetown’s races against California and Michigan State on Sunday, “pretty exciting stuff.” It was the first time these two schools had traveled to the District.

“This demonstrates that women’s crew is growing and changing fast,” Johnson said.

Rowing in choppy water conditions, Georgetown took second place in the varsity eight, nine seconds behind California, with a time of 6:33.2. The Hoyas also finished second in the novice eight and third in both the varsity four and second varsity eight.

Johnson was pleased with the women’s performance.

“They raced better each time,” Johnson said.

Meanwhile, the lightweight men won two close races on Sunday at Cornell. In the varsity eight the Hoyas finished with a time of 6:02.6, just ahead of Cornell’s 6:04.3. And in the second varsity eight, Georgetown edged Cornell by one tenth of a second, with times of 6:09.4 and 6:09.5 respectively.

This weekend, the Hoyas will host the Georgetown Invitational for Big East Schools for the sixth-straight year.

“This regatta is really important to us,” Johnson said.

According to Johnson, the women’s toughest competition will come from Syracuse, Rutgers, and Miami, and the heavyweight men’s top competitors will be Syracuse and Temple.