Cross-Country | GU Defends Regional Title

One meet after defending its 2015 Big East Championship, the No. 22 Georgetown men’s cross-country team successfully defended its 2015 NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional championship this past weekend, edging out the Naval Academy for the top spot.

The women claimed fifth place out of 28 teams while recording 141 points.

Senior Scott Carpenter led the Hoyas in another duel with Villanova’s senior Patrick Tiernan. The result remained the same, as Tiernan grabbed first and Carpenter followed for second place with a time of 30:43 on the 10-kilometer course.

Graduate student Michael Clevenger, who has burst onto the scene for the Hoyas this season, was the second Hoya to cross the finish line with a time of 30:59. This performance secured him seventh place. Junior Christian Alvarado snagged 11th place overall, finishing the race in 30:59. Alvarado has consistently been a point scorer for the Hoyas this season.

Graduate student Michael Lederhouse and freshman Jack Van Scoter rounded out the top five for the men, finishing in 16th and 30th place, respectively, with times of 31:13 and 31:28.

The Georgetown women also enjoyed their fair share of successful performances on the 6-kilometer course. Freshman Paige Hofstad continued her impressive debut season, as she was the first Hoya to cross the finish line. She finished with a time of 21:05, good enough for 15th overall.

Sophomore transfer Josette Norris has proven to be a big addition to the team, as she claimed 24th place overall as the second Hoya to finish the race. She ran a time of 21:17 and scored 24 points. Junior Autumn Eastman added another impressive performance to her resume, capturing 26th place in 21:20.

Junior Kennedy Weisner and freshman Margie Cullen rounded out the top five, running 21:30 and 21:51, respectively. Weisner captured 30th place while Cullen snagged 46th place.

Both squads have the rest of the week to prepare for the NCAA Championship meet Nov. 19 at the LaVern Gibson Championship Cross-Country Course located in Terre Haute, Ind.