Crew | Squads Gain Experience at Princeton

Following a notable performance at the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston, Mass. last Sunday, the Georgetown men’s and women’s crew teams had a subpar weekend when they competed at the Princeton Chase Regatta in Princeton, N.J.

At the Head of the Charles Regatta, the men’s boat took an impressive fourth place in the Lightweight Four event. However, at this weekend’s Princeton Chase Regatta, the men’s lightweight four did not compete.

Still, the men’s team had an A, B and C boat compete in the men’s varsity lightweight eight-plus final. Out of 33 boats, Georgetown’s A boat placed 23rd, posting a 14:15.579 and finishing behind Harvard’s D boat and ahead of Pennsylvania’s C boat. Cornell’s A boat went on to claim first place in the race. Georgetown’s B boat finished 27th, and Georgetown’s C boat did not start.

The teams also competed in the Princeton 3-Mile Chase, where the teams race over a distance of 2 ¾ miles. Unlike other regattas that Georgetown competes in, the Princeton Chase Regatta includes races for freshmen and novice boats. The Georgetown men’s team had two boats race in the freshman eight-plus final.

The Georgetown men’s team also had an A, B and C boat race in the men’s varsity heavyweight eight-plus final. The A boat finished 15th out of 44, coming in behind MIT’s B boat and ahead of Navy’s B boat. The B boat finished 22nd, and the C boat finished 43rd.

This was the men’s team final regatta of four for the fall season. Just a month long, the fall season began on Sept. 25 with the Head of the Potomac Regatta. Though the men’s team has not released its schedule for the spring 2017 season, the spring campaign is generally much longer.

“The fall racing season could have gone two ways. We could have built a varsity boat. We could have focused on eight to 12 athletes and gotten them to row the way we want. They would have done alright at the Princeton Chase,” lightweight varsity head coach Lee Rumpf wrote in an email to The Hoya. “However this is a team. We took a long-term, team first approach to the fall because in the end this is a spring sport. If we expect to become national champions it has to start with complete buy-in and trust from all the athletes. Not just those at the top.”

In the spring 2016 season, the Hoyas competed 10 times in the regular season, culminating in a league championship at the end of the season. The women’s team, however, still has one competition left in the fall season.

The women’s team had boats compete in the varsity eight-plus final and in the varsity-four final at the Princeton Chase Regatta. For the varsity eight-plus final, the Hoya’s A, B and lightweight boats had to race against a strong field of 59 boats. The lightweight boat finished 31st, posting a 15:44.258.

Brown’s A boat won the race with a time of 14:14.672. Georgetown’s A boat placed 44th and the B boat placed 58th. In the women’s varsity four-plus final, the Hoyas had one boat compete, finishing 18th out of 27. The boat came in behind Duke’s D boat and ahead of Rhode Island’s boat.

The women will go on to compete at the Head of the Occoquan Regatta in Fairfax Station, Va., on Nov. 5 to close out their fall season.