Concern with Accountability in Brown Investigation

It’s standard procedure for news media to arrange interviews with Georgetown athletes, coaches and athletic administrators through the sports information office. That practice is for the protection and privacy of these individuals, and we have always tried to honor it. However, it should not be employed to shelter the Athletic Department from accountability in the face of a potential scandal.

The university is investigating allegations that women’s basketball Head Coach Keith Brown was verbally abusive toward players, and Brown and Assistant Coach Tim Valentine were placed on paid leave Tuesday. It is completely acceptable for the university to carry out its investigation internally — the law might be involved, there might be conflicting stories, safety might even be at risk.

All of our inquiries to the Athletic Department have been redirected to the university’s Office of Communications, which has offered very brief comment on the issue. For now, we will wait patiently while the investigation is completed. But the community we represent can only wait so long. Team practices have begun and detail must soon come to light. Prepared statements will not suffice past a point.

It is unclear if allegations about Brown and Valentine are true. Regardless of how the university’s investigation unfolds, we deserve not only a complete account of their findings, but the opportunity to ask questions of our own to those involved.

Danny Funt is Editor-in-Chief of The Hoya and Laura Wagner is Sports Editor of The Hoya.