Coca-Cola Mini Can Offers Fewer Calories, Less Sugar at a Price

Coca-Cola has decided to offer a scaled-down can size in Washington, D.C., and New York City as part of a new initiative to increase sales. The new 7.5-ounce can contains 90 calories and is meant for consumers looking to lower their sugar intake, whereas the traditional 12-ounce can contains 140 calories.

“Coca-Cola designed the new 100-calorie Coca-Cola mini as another option for consumers to enjoy the great taste of their favorite drink in a smaller, portion-controlled package,” Kirsten Witt, press contact for Coca-Cola North America said.

Coca-Cola beverages come in a variety of sizes, including 12-, 20- and 24-ounce bottles, and 8-, 12- and now 7.5-ounce cans. The new can size is 4.5 ounces smaller than the 12-ounce can traditionally sold in stores. The product inside the new can size remains the same. It is initially scheduled to be released in select cities across the Northeast.

“We first introduced the mini can in [New York] and D.C. but also are rolling out the mini can in markets throughout the country,” Witt said. “A broad range of beverages will be available in the mini can: Coca-Cola, Sprite, Fanta Orange, Cherry Coke, Barq’s Root Beer and Seagram’s Ginger Ale. Some of our no- and low-calorie beverages will also use this new packaging including: Diet Coke, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Coke Zero and Sprite Zero.”

Another difference between the 12-ounce can and the 7.5-ounce can is the price. At the Davenport Safeway, located in Tenleytown (NW), the 7.5-ounce Coke comes in a pack of 6 for $3.99, while the 12-ounce Coke comes in a pack of 12 for $4.99. Thus, there is an approximate 5-cent increase per ounce of the price of Coke and the cost is higher for fewer cans purchased of the new model.

Coca-Cola North America is optimistic that the new smaller product will help curb childhood obesity and allow consumers to make healthier choices, according to the company’s press release.

“We recognize that the world is changing and that increasingly, Americans are realizing the importance of living an active, balanced and healthy lifestyle,” Sandy Douglas, president of Coca-Cola North America, who also serves as treasurer of the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation, said in the press release. “As a beverage industry leader, Coca-Cola is proud to do our part to help make it easier for people to achieve their goals.”

The price increase has sparked various reactions from students.

“I wouldn’t pay more for less Coke,” Aditi Garg (COL ’13) said. “[However], I would most likely only drink one can.”

On the other hand, Marcy Humphrey (MSB ’13) said she most likely would drink more than one can, even with the price increase.

“I wouldn’t be satisfied drinking less Coke. It would leave me wanting more,” Humphrey said.

Despite the concerns voiced by Georgetown students and others, Coca-Cola is excited about the response so far.

“Response has been fantastic. Consumers love the size and shape of the can and the idea that [it] is only 90 calories,” Witt said.”