Chaplain Leaves Position

Emmanuel Kornyo, former chaplain-in-residence for the third floor of New South Hall, will not return to his position or live on campus after his alleged involvement in an incident of family disturbance Wednesday night.

“These matters are sensitive and appropriate steps are being taken,” Director of Media Relations Rachel Pugh wrote in an email.

Kornyo and his wife, Rebecca, had a verbal dispute at around 10:50 p.m. Wednesday. According to a report from the Department of Public Safety, a student called DPS after hearing the couple fighting.

The initial DPS report classified the incident as domestic violence and said that one of the parties was transported to the Georgetown University Hospital for minor injuries.

The Metropolitan Police Department reported, however, that there was no physical evidence of an assault and no charges were pressed against either party.

James Lorello, hall director for New South, sent an email to residents of the third floor Thursday afternoon to inform them that their chaplain would be absent from the floor for the time being.

“The situation has been taken care of and everything is fine,” he wrote. “I apologize that I cannot give more details about this incident, but you can trust that everything has been dealt with.”

Lorello told The Hoya that the incident Wednesday was not deemed to have endangered or negatively impacted students in any way. In his email to students he urged residents to contact Assistant Director of Residence Life Katie Heather or Laura Kovach, director of the Women’s Center, if they still have concerns.