Carroll Coaches Hoyas Crenshaw-Style

Carroll Coaches Hoyas Crenshaw-Style

By Matt Serventi Hoya Staff Writer

Struggling through a six-game losing streak, the Hoyas sought inspiration through the comeback victory of the United States golf team in the Ryder Cup.

It must have worked, as the Georgetown field hockey team ended its skid Saturday afternoon with a 2-1 victory over Davidson on Kehoe Field.

“We talked about [American Ryder Cup Captain Ben] Crenshaw. He just kept believing and when they were down four points and history said they couldn’t do it they just kept believing they could do it,” said Georgetown Head Coach Laurie Carroll. “We just said we had to believe we could finish. We didn’t give up. We kept pushing. It was a tremendous win.”

The new winning streak didn’t last very long though, as the Hoyas were unable to convert scoring opportunities into goals in a 1-0 loss to visiting Virginia Commonwealth University Sunday.

Georgetown freshman midfielder Abbe Malcolm came off the bench to score the first goal of Saturday’s game, as she put the ball through the legs of the Davidson goalkeeper just under 15 minutes into the first half.

Davidson answered 12 minutes later when junior midfielder Jennie Gold, assisted by senior back Kim Ceci off of a corner, found the back of the net to even the score at one.

With just under a minute left, Georgetown freshman goalkeeper Jessica Herring made a spectacular save, sprawling on the ground to keep the game knotted at one going into halftime.

In the second period, Georgetown took control of the game, holding an 8-1 advantage in corners in the period and keeping the ball on the Davidson side of the field, thus allowing the Hoyas to create scoring opportunities. However, they were unable to capitalize on any of these chances until 15 minutes into the second half.

A Georgetown corner led to a loose ball in front of the net, and in the scramble, senior forward Lori Fogliano knocked in the game-winner, beating the Davidson goalkeeper and giving the Hoyas the 2-1 lead.

Herring preserved the lead, making an excellent kick save with just under five minutes in the game to extinguish Davidson’s only real threat of the half.

Prior to the game, the Hoyas, who had not won since a season-opening victory over Albany on Sept. 5, talked about confidence and their belief that they could win. They drew their inspiration from the seemingly impossible victory of the Americans in the Ryder Cup, who came back from an

On Sunday, Virginia Commonwealth visited the Hilltop. The first half was familiar to the Hoyas: they created scoring opportunities but were unable to find the back of the net.

However, the Rams were also unable to put points on the board, despite a 6-2 advantage in corners in the first period and an 11-5 advantage for the game, and the two teams went into halftime with the scored tied at zero.

In the second half, sloppy passing by the Hoyas and the physical play of the Rams allowed the visiting team to put pressure on the Georgetown defense while the Hoyas’ offense was once again unable to put the ball in the net.

Herring again kept Georgetown in the game, smothering a shot by Virginia Commonwealth freshman forward Tavris Parker 16 minutes into the period.

But the pressure of the Rams was too much as freshman back Jennifer Howard beat Herring off of a corner to register the game-winner.

Junior goalkeeper Jennifer Burroughs recorded the shutout, Virginia Commonwealth’s first in four years. The Rams also snapped a five-game losing streak with the win.

“I think we got a lot of the initial shots off,” Carroll said of Georgetown’s inability to capitalize on scoring opportunities, “but we need to do a better job of getting second and third shots instead of letting the other team go on transition.”

The Hoyas take to the field again Saturday at 1 p.m. against Radford College on Kehoe Field.