Caps’ Title Hopes Hinge on Goalies

The Washington Capitals find themselves in a familiar position as the NHL regular season winds down. With a playoff berth clinched and another Southeast division championship on the way, the Caps are counting down the days to the start of their fourth straight postseason.

Although the franchise has now become accustomed to playing in April, the question still remains — can this team advance past the early rounds and give the city a chance at hosting the Stanley Cup Finals?

Washington’s rise to the top of the Eastern Conference over the past three years has been catalyzed by a high-powered offense, led by young stars Alexander Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Alexander Semin and Mike Green. A scintillating power play and incomparable offensive talent has made the Verizon Center one of the most exciting places to watch hockey in recent years.

But with a crushing second-round elimination in the 2009 postseason at the hands of the archrival Pittsburgh Penguins sandwiched by two first-round exits in 2008 and 2010, Head Coach Bruce Boudreau was forced to adjust his offensive-minded approach.

The Caps’ newfound defensive acumen this season — which has produced a goals against average of 2.32, good for fourth in the league — can be partly attributed to Boudreau’s emphasis on defense and the emergence of rookie defensemen John Carlson and Karl Alzner. More important, though, has been the solid play of a young pair of goaltenders — Michal Neuvirth and Semyon Varlamov.

A native of the Czech Republic, Neuvirth leads the Capitals in starts in net this season and has set a franchise record with 24 wins by a rookie net-minder. The concern for Washington is his lack of NHL playoffs experience. But for what it’s worth, over the past two seasons, Neuvirth served as the starter for the Hershey Bears of the AHL and led the minor-league affiliate to consecutive AHL titles.

Varlamov, a Russian in his second full year with the Capitals, has started 19 games in the Stanley Cup playoffs with a 10-9 record. The team likes its chances with Varlamov in net, but numerous injuries have set him back and prevented him from taking ownership of the number-one goalie spot that appeared to be his to lose at the beginning of the season.

With two capable young goaltenders in good health and the playoffs right around the corner, it may appear to some that the Capitals have an embarrassment of riches in net. However, the starting goalie decision could become quite a dilemma for Boudreau and Washington in the playoffs.

In recent comments to the media, the head coach revealed that he doesn’t necessarily have to stick with one.

“I think if you look at the way the season and their careers have gone, that neither one has played 20 games in a row [in the NHL], you’re probably looking more at winning by committee than anything else,” Boudreau told The Washington Post. “If one gets extremely hot, you’re not going to take him out of the lineup.”

Both Neuvirth and Varlamov certainly believe that they are capable of carrying the load this postseason for the Caps. At the same time, Neuvirth realizes the need to have a team-oriented focus.

“I think I have no problems to play maybe 16 or 20 games in a row like I did in the past,” Neuvirth told The Post, referring to his playoffs runs the past two years. “If even me and [Varlamov] be switching, [it’s about] whatever is going to take us to the Cup, no matter what. Everyone on the team is here to win the Cup. We’ve got to do whatever it takes to get there.”

The goaltending-by-committee tactic has proved successful for the Caps during the regular season. But one could make the argument that the lack of a cut-and-dry No. 1 goalie hindered the team in the previous two postseasons when Jose Theodore was twice replaced mid-series by Varlamov.

Washington is starving for a championship team, and this year the Capitals have a more complete squad. However, a No. 1 net-minder should be established. With so much riding on each playoff game, the Caps cannot afford to have their most important position filled by a player not mentally prepared for every game.

My bet is that Neuvirth will be given the start in the first game of the playoffs and won’t let go of his grip on the No. 1 spot. He has been the more consistent goalie all season and has proven at the minor league level that he can take over and dominate in the playoffs.

The Caps are lucky to have a backup as talented as Varlamov, though, and that luxury could be key this postseason.

John Balkam is a sophomore in the McDonough School of Business. Thoughts of a Homegrown Hoya appears in every other Friday edition of Hoya Sports.