Campus Spotlight // 2.18.11

COURTESY MALIN HU
COURTESY MALIN HU

The story of the Carroll Round begins with three Georgetown students who felt that undergraduate students interested in economics lacked opportunities to engage with each other in a serious research environment. They proposed the creation of a “round” that would bring students together with members of the broader academic and policymaking communities in a constructive forum to discuss contemporary issues in economics research and policy. Now in its 10th year, the Carroll Round has gained increasing recognition from top economics programs around the world and evolved into the premier institution of its kind.

Modeled on a professional academic conference, the Carroll Round gives outstanding students the chance to present their original research in international economics and to observe and discuss the work of their peers. Additionally, participants are able to meet with and talk to some of the most influential figures in economics. The Carroll Round invites a number of prominent speakers to lead discussions and deliver lectures each year, and in its short history it has already hosted four Nobel Laureates, including John Nash and Robert Merton.

The conference also provides students with access to a valuable and tightly knit alumni network. Participating students have gone on to pursue graduate work in economics at leading departments or careers in economic research, finance, or consulting.  Many former participants remain active supporters of the Carroll Round by contributing financially to its operations or by attending the conference each spring. Alumni also maintain their friendships and connections through reunions. This year, reunions took place in Washington, D.C., New York City, and London.

The Carroll Round is organized by a student-run Steering Committee, with the invaluable assistance of School of Foreign Service Dean Mitch Kaneda, who serves as faculty advisor. This year’s Carroll Round, which will mark the 10th anniversary of its founding, will be held at Georgetown from April 14 to 17. All students are welcome to attend the research presentations, and students who are currently working on a thesis in international economics or political economy and may be interested in presenting at the conference are encouraged to apply by March 13, 2011. Additional information about the Carroll Round can be found by either emailing [email protected] or visiting carrollround.georgetown.edu.

–Malin Hu,

Recruitment Chair, Carroll Round Steering Committee